Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can't get motivated --

Can't get motivated --

Well, I have chuckled at some of the phylosophical (sp?)posts here in the past - you know, the "why do we do this?" kind. But I've got to say, right now I am asking myself the same questions. I have been shooting 35 and medium format for a long time, and still do, but hav e always loved and longed-for the crisp-sharpness of the large format, large pri nt. Several years ago I took the plunge and bought my first LF (5x7)camera. It was a n old B&J that I completely rebuild/restored (and have since sold). Then it was a new lightweight 4x5 wood field. Now the inventory is the field, a Calumet, an 8x10 pinhole (lovingly built of wo od w/spring back), and an old B&J Press. I was very excited and active at first - at least one or two days a week was dedicated to packing off to anywhere to sh oot as much as possible of nearly anything that caught my eye. But what I found out was, that with LF gear in tow, I was an event to be investi gated by every curious passer-by. At the river bank, people would stop just so t hey could watch me and ask questions, stand around or even want to pick up and e xamine the lenses, etc. Along the trail, every hiker did the same. I found it di fficult to focus (no pun intended) on what I was doing. With the tripod set up, lens mounted, and meter et al. sitting about - it is difficult to just pick up a nd move on (away). I have to admit, I have always been a "gear junkie". My house bulges with camera s, bags and stacks of photo junk. There is nearly as much room in the refrigerat or dedicated to film storage as food. So, I have all the LF gear I can use, the wilds of the Idaho Bitteroot Mountains just minutes away, and when I want to shoot - I take the Minolta 6x7 or the 35 because I hate packing all that LF gear (and trying to keep track of it all), an d not having the anonymity (sp) to shoot in peace and the mobility/freedom to mo ve on when I feel the urge. All that gear, and all that investment sits unused for nearly 4 months now. Not one single LF neg! Mostly because I like to move around alot and like the freedo m smaller cameras give me, and hate the hassles of the bigger gear, and the peop le who distract me. The other night I was looking at the images on my walls - the ones in the "publi c areas" of the house. The living room, the family room. And I realized, that th e images that I consider my best - the ones I am most proud of, are all medium f ormat. Not that I have not taken some reasonable photographs with LF, but the be st ones are all MF. So I've come to this question - (GASP!) maybe I'm truly just not a LF guy. Then I wondered, how many people out there are suffering through all the hassles of packing all that gear around - messing around with changing bags, sheet film , film holders, lensboards, huge tripods, heavy backpacks, large lenses, curious on-lookers and all the rest of the inherent problems with LF photography - and having their photographic creativity suffer in the process? All for the sake of a larger neg. What kind of images have you lost, but could have made, because of the logistics of gear?Are there REALLY any of your images that could just N OT have been done as well in 6x7 or 6x9? Honestly? What COULD HAVE BEEN with the mobility of a smaller camera? What did you miss be cause of mobility? <<<Forgive me, Saint AA!>>>>>

Can't get motivated --

Unless you're making Clyde Butcher size prints, the purpose of Large Format cameras isn't to get sharper negatives, it's to enjoy the LF experience. Setting up the tripod, having a large enough screen to see the whole image with both eyes, and so forth. If you're not getting the pleasure from LF, (it doesn't matter whether your pictures are any good), and you enjoy MF photography, then do it. That's what life is all about.

Can't get motivated --

A larger negative isn't the only reason to use large format. There are the other two oft cited reasons - availability of movements and ability to individually develop each negative. But the main reason is that some people just enjoy the whole large format process. Others don't. It sounds like you don't, which is certainly fine for you, so why not just give it up? Unless you do this for a living, the idea is to enjoy yourself in whatever format you use.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Can't get motivated --

I find that the smaller and more portable the camera is the more I use it. In any of the formats. Leica 1lb,Rollei 2lb,Veriwide 2lb,5x7 Anba 3.5 lbs,12x20 Korona 18lbs.Today the Leica went out to the beach with my wife and I.....I had a great time and with pan f, 3 rolls taken, smooth and quick with a clear mind.Couldnt have done that in medium or large format.If I was by myself and had all day the 5x7 or Rollie might have made the trip!The right tool for the moment is important...they all have a certain look and feel and to me ...5x7 looks different than 2x3...I need all the formats to be available to accomodate the mood I'm in.

Can't get motivated --

Matt,

I think quite a few people who take the plunge into LF from other formats are at first disappointed. They envision Westonesque masterpieces but not the effort involved. For me the effort was more then the physical, it was learning, really learning, how to use LF as a tool to produce certain images and understanding its advantages in certain situations.

A LF camera, no matter what brand or lens is simply a tool. As photographers we need to evaluate what it is we want to communicate and then choose the tool that best makes that image. A prerequisite is you need be comfortable with your gear. If medium format produces the results you are happy with, then stick with it.

Can't get motivated --

Matt,

I switched to 8x10 a short while ago. Didn't quite enjoy it. I'm back with 5x7 now. Still like it a lot better. I took the good advice from previous contributors to drop what I didn't enjoy doing (at least for a while). It helps.

Aaron

Old School Wayne

Can't get motivated --

>But what I found out was, that with LF gear in tow, I was an event to be investigated by every curious passer-by. At the river bank, people would stop just so they could watch me and ask questions<

You have come to the right place, because this is what I excel at-avoiding people, or making them feel unwelcome if they dont avoid me ;-). I never unpack my gear if there is a chance a humanoid will approach. if one does anyway, I either stand with my back towards them and look VERY busy so they get "the point", or (more likely) start packing up and leave for a humanless place as soon as I see them coming. I'm quite unsocial when I'm photographing-its just not a social activity for me, I cant get anything done with people around bothering me, and I cant get into the mental zone I want to be in. I dont try to photograph along trails unless theres one car or fewer at the trailhead; I dont photograph in National Parks except on the rarest occasion (and certainly not state or city parks! dont worry, none of those places are going unphotographed); I look for good potential destinations on road maps and then head for a place thats as far from it as possible (other people can read road maps too); I live near the biggest wilderness in the eastern US, and its the last place I'd go to get away from people...are you getting the drift yet? I can ramble on in this vein for...well, you've probably heard more than enuff already.

>> I have to admit, I have always been a "gear junkie". My house bulges with cameras,bags and stacks of photo junk. <<

This is a serious psychological problem that I cant help you with. I learned years ago that I need few things-one camera (at a time), 2 lenses, one meter, one set of mido holders. This is hardly an insurmountable load. You dont need to carry all the junk that you dont use! (I have loads too, but I've never felt the need to carry it all. I havent used my 90mm in 5 years or more. If I ever really miss it, I'l start bringing it again).

Can't get motivated --

In love, out of love, crazy about or sick of cars, cameras, women, whatever, you get rid of them or they get rid of you, they're missed the most when they're gone.

Many a guy has gotten rid of good camera or a good women becuase of boredom or a 'downhome funk', and lived to regret it, me included.

Take you gear out of the 'doghouse' and put it in the closet and forget about it until you start to miss it again.
    Jonathan Brewer

www.imageandartifact.bz

Can't get motivated --

Matt, What can I say . Every one needs to find their own path to walk down. LF & MF both have thier own set of advantages and disadvantages. I am some what like you in the sense I get nervous when some South Florida tourist creeps up a little to close behind me to stare at the three legged contraption. Fortunately, I shoot most of my images where only big foot hangs out.

Try this... Just shoot MF for a good while and get your self a good dose of mobility and moving around. Let your LF equipment sit dormant for a time. Trust me and dont sell it. After about 6 months or so, take a good look at all your MF negs and maybe, just maybe you might say to your self; I'll be dam! What COULD HAVE BEEN with the resolution of that large negative. Some times you just have to do something differently for a while.

Dan

www.dankowalsky.com

Can't get motivated --

Something to consider is using your MF when you are on the go and out in the public. Use your large format for indoor shooting of still life, abstracts, multiple exposures, portraits of friends, family and dogs. The quality is fabulous and no packing anything around. All of this can be done with available light. So there is a compromise. But, man if you hate dragging all the equipment around (it is a pain sometimes isn't it?) then don't do it for sure. It will kill your photography....

Scott