Thread: Copal 0 and 1 Shutter Repair

Copal 0 and 1 Shutter Repair

Does anyone know where to find a Copal 0 and 1 repair manual? Or at least a good exploded view? If you're going to point me to ebay (I couldn't find one there), do you know it to be a good, complete, clean, legible copy? If so, which seller?

If I had the money to send them to Flutot's I would. I don't especially need either shutter but figured if I could get them up and running myself it would be an interesting learning experience. One is from a 135mm Xenar, the other is a 210/370 Symmar.

Thanks,
    Dan

Re: Copal 0 and 1 Shutter Repair

Try this link. I have a link to an official Synchro-Compur repair manual somewhere but honestly it's too technical to be useful. If the shutters are running slow or hanging the general procedure is to take out the timing gearset and soak it in lighter fluid for a while and put it back in and readjust it.

Thanks - I forgot about his site. I don't know how close the MXV will be to the 0/1 but it should help. Lots of photos as I wade in, and a giant magnet to catch all the flying springs and other bits.

I don't know about the 1 - the ebay seller listed it as for parts/repair - figured I could use the 210/370 glass in the shutter from my 215mm Acutar. The cocking lever on the 0 is just flapping in the breeze so that might need parts...

Dan

Lightbulb Re: Copal 0 and 1 Shutter Repair

Quote Originally Posted by domaz View Post
    If the shutters are running slow or hanging the general procedure is to take out the timing gearset and soak it in lighter fluid for a while and put it back in and readjust it.
    Sorry to disagree, but you've missed a very important point.

Standard procedure is to clean the escapement using an ultrasonic cleaner, then...

LUBRICATE it properly, using the correct lubricant at each point.

Reassemble the shutter and cycle it many times at different speeds to distribute the lubricant, then set the timing.

- Leigh

Does anyone know where to get Copal parts? I opened up the 0 and its as I thought. The shutter was cocked and the release lever is broken off. I was able to release the shutter with a screwdriver so now the cocking lever is no longer flapping in the breeze. But, the release lever will need to be replaced.

Thanks,
    Dan

Still need a pointer to parts for the 0 but I need to gloat about the 1. It came today - an 11-million SN 210/370 convertible in Copal 1.

Description from the seller was:

"Schneider-Kreuznach In a Copal-No.1. The shutter need REPAIR OR FOR PARTS. Optically the lens shows marks. "

The lens glass had dirt on the outside surfaces that cleaned right up revealing perfect coating. The shutter works just fine and 1 second seems good. No idea what the seller didn't do but I won't complain. Best $55 I ever spent.

Dan

Hi There -- Sorry to re-resuscitate an old thread, but figured this would be a good place to start. I recently purchased a used lens with a Copal #1 shutter. the shutter works fine, except for the " T " setting, which behaves just like the " B " setting. My question is, is this fixable ? if it is, is it trivial or is it a complex procedure requiring spare parts and much time from a qualified person ? Or would I be better off not wishing I could be the " T " setting ? Many Thanks in advance for any suggestions and insight. Cheers !

Quote Originally Posted by njaimo View Post
    Hi There -- Sorry to re-resuscitate an old thread, but figured this would be a good place to start. I recently purchased a used lens with a Copal #1 shutter. the shutter works fine, except for the " T " setting, which behaves just like the " B " setting. My question is, is this fixable ? if it is, is it trivial or is it a complex procedure requiring spare parts and much time from a qualified person ? Or would I be better off not wishing I could be the " T " setting ? Many Thanks in advance for any suggestions and insight. Cheers !
    This is a case of "if it mostly works don't fix it". Just get a locking cable release and be happy.

Congratulations on having the courage to fix a shutter. Don't be shy about making your own parts, if you can't find parts. It is much easier to make a part if you have most of the old one.

As for T vs B setting, I have found that T is sometimes a very different principle of operation than T.

Enjoy.

Many Thanks for the replies ! I am not really up to the task of repairing it myself (I am all thumbs), and I realize I have the option of just using a locking cable release. I was just wondering what it would take to have it repaired by a professional, whether this is a common problem, and/or whether this indicates more serious problems within the shutter. I am relatively new to this... Cheers !