Thread: Closed, sticky thread in Lounge - why bother?

Closed, sticky thread in Lounge - why bother?

If the thread is so politically hot that it deserved closing, why is it held as "sticky" at the top of the Lounge? Why not merely remove the most blatant comments, or let it die off?

Re: Closed, sticky thread in Lounge - why bother?

You must have missed my policy for the last year. I call it broad "brush moderating". When it starts to go bad I find the post that started the problem, delete ALL subsequent posts and close the thread. This is so I don't have to waste my time carefully going through each post trying to decide which is off-decisions that no one is ever happy ending up with many complaining to me and I end up wasting more time explaining to people why I made the decisions I did. This job doesn't pay enough for this crap.

In the case of that thread I didn't have time to delete all the posts. I don't know why it ended up as a sticky. I'm in the middle of a big job and must have hit the wrong button.

If you disagree with my policy of broad brush moderation because your appropriate posts disappear, I suggest you put the blame where it belongs-on the usual cast of characters who refuse to follow the rules. But for me the next step will be 30 day suspensions for repeat offenders leading ultimately to bans.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

I'm not disagreeing with your policy, or the thread locking. It was outta control. I was just curious about its "sticky" status.

I think the brush moderating works fine. As the OP of that post, I had no idea that people would go from the story I thought was most significant, that police are deciding what photographic subjects have aesthetic value, to fighting over 9/11. But I think you took the correct action in putting a stop to it all.

The one thing I would mention to you is that there are many posts here that are probably deserving of a sticky, especially on some of the common technical discussions where a lot of useful information is explained and expanded on. It would be nice to see the sticky feature used more often on the "How to" themes. Just my observation.

Thanks,

-DP