Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DIY 4x5" scanner back

Re: DIY 4x5" scanner back

Take a look at the images Duckie produced with his system. http://mosesblah.wordpress.com/2010/...camera-images/
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Bruce Hemingway

Here are some similar projects:
    http://golembewski.awardspace.com/index.html
    http://johnvanhornphoto.com/lgformat...amera2007.html
    http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~heidrich/Papers/EI.04.pdf

I've attached a scan I did with a Canon LiDE 20 duct-taped to an 8x10...

Electron and ion microscopist

The IRIScanner arrived yesterday.

Now I understand how the scanner knows how fast it is being moved over a surface. Wheels underneath the scanner are connected to a gearwheel that sits between a LED and a photo detector (please see attached pdf). In order to trick the scanner so that it thinks it is being moved over a surface I have to spin the wheels or in some other way turn the gearwheel, it could also work if I get the LED to blink.

(It might have been better to buy one of those scanners that pulls the paper by themselves, and remove the bottom part of the scanner.)

I have done some calculations and concluded that the gearwheel in the IRIScan should turn with approximately 40-150 rpm (depending on resolution and the speed of the motorized tripod head). My idea is to connect it to a small DC motor. I found this motor: http://www.micromotorssrl.com/motor_l149/l149_pg.html
    what do you think?

At the moment I cannot get to the illumination light source (which must be a LED), but it doesn't seem to be any problem to block the light. The sensor and light source are hidden in a casing which I cannot open at the moment. The lens array is glued to the casing, I might be able to get to the light source when I have removed the glue and the lens array. But first I want to concentrate on the gear wheel problem.

I took a quick normal scan of a picture on a book page, see attached file.

I also, quickly, tried to do a 'proof of concept image' with the scanner mounted on the camera. I tried to turn the wheels with one hand and turn the camera with the other hand. See attached file. With some practice I think I could get a decent image. With a smooth wheel turning and smooth camera turning even better. And finally with lens array and light source removed even better.

Any comments?

Silly me. The simplest way to trick the scanner must be to mask or remove the gearwheel LED and use an external blinking LED. I just need to figure out at what frequencies it should blink and how to build that type of circuit.

-edit: A rough estimate puts the blinking LED frequency in the range of 20-200 Hz (depending on resolution and the speed of the motorized tripod head).
    Last edited by Lenrick; 25-Aug-2011 at 02:50.

The gearwheel LED is not a visible light LED, it is a IR LED.

I tried to block it an use the strobe function on my iPhone LED but nothing happened. But when I, with fast movements, removed the blocker and put it back a few times the scanner seemed to start scanning. And when I didn't see the LED shine I thought of IR LED.

I then tried, with the gearwheel LED blocked, to point a TV remote controller towards the photo detector and try to scan in mid air. Worked perfectly.

I need to build or buy a small thing that runs on batteries and flashed a IR LED at about 50 Hz. If the frequency could be adjustable between roughly 10-200 Hz it would be even better. Is it a good idea to try to rebuild an old TV remote controller, do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Lenrick View Post
    For anyone who is thinking of building a scanner camera like the ones Michael Golembewski from The Scanner Photography Project is building. I found a instructive blog which I haven't seen anyone link to before: Duckie's Blog
    here is another instructive blog post on disassembing the LIDE 20 with more and clearer photos

That's nice pound. I'd like to see something like this on the modification of the black strip. I've never understood what exactly needs to be done to it. The one I modded only got me a worse image.

How about getting a very fine groundglass and sweeping the IRISCAN over it? I've been looking into finding a more traditional A5 sized scanner, but they're not easy to find.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenrick View Post
    I need to build or buy a small thing that runs on batteries and flashed a IR LED at about 50 Hz.
    Use the 555 circuit already suggested but instead of an LED, connect the output (pin 3) via a 10K resistor to the base of a transistor. Connect the rest of the transistor in place of the IR receiver. Run it from the scanner power supply.

Steve.