Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on this Lake....

Opinions on this Lake....

Looking for opinions. Thanks in advance...

Re: Opinions on this Lake....

It looks like it's about to rain. Exactly what do you want an opinion on? Composition, focus, printing, lens, film......?

"Interesting picture, but does not move me".
    I have had a long think on what is a good picture. As a photographer for 40 some odd years, i have been surprised at what people or clients like and dont like. So often the difference between a good picture and a great one is so small, like more sky or more foreground, lighter, darker Ect... The one thing that did make my pictures better, was to quit digital and use film only. I have found for me that using film involved more work, and sweat so i studied what i was taking a picture of. It involved getting a little bit of "subject connection" and fore thought. When i had my Nikon d3 and all the cool lenses i took hundreds if not a thousand pictures at a time, and then studied them on the computer to pick out the best ones. That worked great if i wanted good pictures. But for me and this is my opinion only. Once i went back to film, thats when i started taking great pictures. Now when i do a portrait or any other type of photograph, it takes me sometimes hours to get what i want. Taking a portrait photograph can just take a few minutes for good picture. But takes hours sometimes for great portrait picture. I taught photography in collage when i was much younger. I had a older student who was working on his MFA in photography. All he did was photograph clouds. He used to spend hours just watching the clouds.. i thought he was crazy. Butttttt... i am not so sure now.... Forgive my ramblings but the bottom line for me is;

1 - You have to take pictures because you enjoy it. 2 - Stop worrying what other people think, unless you are shooting for a client... they will most likely trust your judgement anyway. 3 - Print and mount your pictures. With the Zillions of photos online.. they all turn to visual static. But to have a mounted print so you can hold it and show it that makes it unique to the beholder. 4 - And finally take pictures that you care about, friends, family places.... My family pictures are now the most precious possessions to me... i use to practice my portrait technics with my kids years and years ago... Now, those pictures are the most valuable of my possessions now.

Sincerely Michael Green

http://www.mikepic.com

Quote Originally Posted by photobymike View Post
    "Interesting picture, but does not move me".
    I have had a long think on what is a good picture. As a photographer for 40 some odd years, i have been surprised at what people or clients like and dont like. So often the difference between a good picture and a great one is so small, like more sky or more foreground, lighter, darker Ect... The one thing that did make my pictures better, was to quit digital and use film only. I have found for me that using film involved more work, and sweat so i studied what i was taking a picture of. It involved getting a little bit of "subject connection" and fore thought. When i had my Nikon d3 and all the cool lenses i took hundreds if not a thousand pictures at a time, and then studied them on the computer to pick out the best ones. That worked great if i wanted good pictures. But for me and this is my opinion only. Once i went back to film, thats when i started taking great pictures. Now when i do a portrait or any other type of photograph, it takes me sometimes hours to get what i want. Taking a portrait photograph can just take a few minutes for good picture. But takes hours sometimes for great portrait picture. I taught photography in collage when i was much younger. I had a older student who was working on his MFA in photography. All he did was photograph clouds. He used to spend hours just watching the clouds.. i thought he was crazy. Butttttt... i am not so sure now.... Forgive my ramblings but the bottom line for me is;

1 - You have to take pictures because you enjoy it. 2 - Stop worrying what other people think, unless you are shooting for a client... they will most likely trust your judgement anyway. 3 - Print and mount your pictures. With the Zillions of photos online.. they all turn to visual static. But to have a mounted print so you can hold it and show it that makes it unique to the beholder. 4 - And finally take pictures that you care about, friends, family places.... My family pictures are now the most precious possessions to me... i use to practice my portrait technics with my kids years and years ago... Now, those pictures are the most valuable of my possessions now.

Sincerely Michael Green

http://www.mikepic.com
    Thanks Mike. You gave me a little to think about.

I guess I'm trying to provoke a little discussion about image making. I'm just starting out in the format. This was one of the first images I made out doors with the view camera.

Looking for good spirited insights and advice.

The clouds are dramatic and interesting, although a large area of them is blown-out white, but there isn't really a focal point (or area of interest) in the rest. The forest is dark with little detail, and the buildings aren't all that interesting visually. You need to simplify the scene and focus attention on an area of interest. There should be nothing in the picture that doesn't support the presentation of the subject.

“You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J. De Smidt View Post
    The clouds are dramatic and interesting, although a large area of them is blown-out white, but there isn't really a focal point (or area of interest) in the rest. The forest is dark with little detail, and the buildings aren't all that interesting visually. You need to simplify the scene and focus attention on an area of interest. There should be nothing in the picture that doesn't support the presentation of the subject.
    I completely agree. Perhaps if you moved in close and included one or two buildings and the water, trees and sky.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J. De Smidt View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    I completely agree. Perhaps if you moved in close and included one or two buildings and the water, trees and sky.
    And, printed the foreground lighter, perhaps with more contrast (hard to tell about that from a scan with the foreground this dark, on my not-so-great monitor) you could bring out detail that make a much more interesting photograph. It looks like the white church could be a center of interest, a gleaming building among a dark forest, with a threatening sky above. But the negative might need more exposure as it looks like the forest might be too thin to print the way I'm thinking. You'd then have to burn down the sky (maybe with a lower contrast filter on VC paper) but that part wouldn't be difficult.

I cropped the original photo which included the edge of the lake; thought this slightly improved.

I definitely think I need to get closer to subjects. In the Autumn, I plan to do some close up work. Outside with the fall foliage. I need to explore different approaches to subject matter.

Thanks for the advice thus far. Greatly appreciate. The more the members expouse the better. I'm gleaning little bits here and there and it adds to my knowledge base.

Quote Originally Posted by Carterofmars View Post
    I cropped the original photo which included the edge of the lake; thought this slightly improved.

I definitely think I need to get closer to subjects. In the Autumn, I plan to do some close up work. Outside with the fall foliage. I need to explore different approaches to subject matter.

Thanks for the advice thus far. Greatly appreciate. The more the members expouse the better. I'm gleaning little bits here and there and it adds to my knowledge base.
    I just saw the other thread and added some comments there. I hadn't realized this was shot on Provia. My comments were more in line with black and white neg. It would be hard to shoot this range on transparency film and hold good detail in both that sky and that foreground.

Quote Originally Posted by Carterofmars View Post
    Thanks Mike. You gave me a little to think about.

I guess I'm trying to provoke a little discussion about image making. I'm just starting out in the format. This was one of the first images I made out doors with the view camera.

Looking for good spirited insights and advice.
    Your first is always special lol..lol Welcome to the land of infinite creativity. The Land that will start to invade all your thoughts and ideas. A photographer walks around, even without a camera, you will be always looking for that perfect picture. When you get so abscessed with your art, you will carry a camera with you all the time. Oh jeeez i need rehab... just one more sniff of the fixer please...