Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Horseman 45FA

Horseman 45FA

A good friend of mine has a Horseman 45FA that seems to be in excellent shape
    except it doesn't have a lens. Would anyone know about what it would be worth?

Thanks, Larry

Re: Horseman 45FA

The Horseman FA tends to sell for around $950 to $1200 US/CDN. It's a great camera. However, I think that you will be limited to lenses no larger than 210mm; a quick internet search will give you a sense of its other limitations, most of which are common to every field camera. Definitely get the camera if it's in excellent shape and you need something light, durable, and portable.

thanks akimota!

A new Horseman FA sold on ebay recently for $1,250. You can use that as your starting point and work down depending on camera condition. For a used version I'd guess anything from roughly $600 to $900 depending on condition. The absence of a lens is no big deal, large format cameras are commonly sold without lenses.

The FA is a very nice camera but it's almost a specialty camera because of its short bellows (10.25 inches) and the lack of back movements. The short bellows will pretty much restrict you to using a lens no longer than about 210mm (if you're used to 35mm cameras, that's the rough equivalent of a 60-70mm lens on a 35mm camera). The lack of back tilt means you can't make one of the most common movements made with most large format cameras, which is keeping vertical lines in the subject straight in the photograph by aiming the camera up and then tilting the back to bring it parallel to the subject (something that's often done with taller buildings, trees, windows, doors, etc.).

I'd find the camera too limiting for those two reasons. But if you're certain you'll never want to use back tilt (or swing) and if you know you'll never want to use a lens longer than about 210mm the FA is a nice light (3.75 pounds) camera primarily for use when hiking and making landscape photographs. There are, however, other cameras that are not a whole lot heavier and much more flexible in terms of bellows length and back movements.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

I have a 45FA and use it with a Fuji 240A on a short top hat board—works great. The bellows is actually close to 12 inches long. The FA has back movements. The back moves on 4 posts (similar to a Technika?) so you can do both swings and tilts.

I use the camera as a small and light-weight kit that I can carry almost anywhere. It is not the most versatile camera, but within its limitations is a pleasure to use.

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

Yes it has full back movements and the FA has also a back for change from horizontal to portrait mode.
    I use a 300mm APO Ronar on a extention board on my HF the pre version of the FA!

Cheers Armin

Thanks guys!

Perhaps I'm just a goober with 10 thumbs, but when I owned an FA, I never used the back movements because it was just too impractical to use. Each of the 4 posts has its own locking screw. So to change a back movement you have to unlock all 4 screws, make your movement, then lock all 4 screws. There did not seem to be any practical way of viewing the result on the ground glass until going through the full procedure (putting a loupe on the ground glass with the posts unlocked would move the back) . And making a minor change to an existing movement with any precision was impossible. And the amount of movement was quite limited anyway, so it just wasn't worth it. I can't see how anyone who expects to use back movements fairly often wouldn't be better off using a different camera that has a better design for it.

While a neat, precise little metal camera, two further limitations to be aware of are the small size of the front standard hole cut out - this restricts your choice of lenses, and the small throw of the bail arms, meaning you cannot mount say a thick Fuji 405 instant pack film holder. That said, it's still well equipped with precise full front movements, and a good backpack camera. Small standard lenses fit inside the closed clamshell.

I've had my FA for around 10 years and love it. As mentioned, it does have limitations with regards to the size of the rear element diameter of lenses, (63mm I think), and the amount of bellows extension available.
    There is a guy on the auction site that makes lens boards that are adjustable in the top hat way and have different size lens mount rings to accommodate "0" and "1" to help with the longer lenses. I don't have one but they seem to be versatile.
    I use lenses 75mm f/6.8, 90mm f/6.8 wides; 105mm, 135mm, 150mm, 180mm, and a Tele 250 mm with no problem.
    I've never had a problem using the back movements, though it isn't as easy as a camera that has geared back movements.
    It is a field camera after all, and it's well made and rugged. It has a feeling of precision to it. Everything except tripod goes in a back-pac.