Thread: Calumet C400

Calumet C400

So every so often I end up with a free LF camera when I buy a "package" on Ebay for far less than the value of the included lenses and film holders. I just ended up with a "free" Calumet C400 (or whatever variant has the longer rail and bellows). WOW, this is a terrific camera... one that is as precise, flexible and well engineered as any of the many brands of monorails I've owned. I really like the geared rise, which is the movement I use the most by far. I'm a field camera kinda guy, but I really want to play with this thing a bit. It isn't even all that heavy, though the rail doesn't unscrew into short segments so it would be a bit complicated to carry in the field.

For anyone who wants to get into LF photography for very little investment have a look at these. They often sell on the Bay complete with lenses, dark cloths, film holders etc for way cheap. Just don't bid against me when there is a Calumet with three newish Rodenstock lenses selling for $240.

Re: Calumet C400

This is my first LF camera since 1976. I still keep it. It has tones of movement to play around especial at close up. It replace by a Siner F1 with bag bellow when I need movement for wide angle lens. Keep use it. Have fun.

Hi Ashlee,

The original was the Kodak Master View (truly a pig of a camera). At Calumet we bought the tools and the right to reproduce and rebuilt it as the most popular VC in the world. The were made in Chicago, IL and we sold 85% of the VC's in the world made in the US.

Lynn

Lynn

I always appreciate your special first hand historical perspective.

The decline in US manufacturing troubles me greatly. I think it is the root of nearly all of our other woes.

There is a certain satisfaction in working with perfectly crafted tools. This camera has that zen.. along with my Deardorff, my Ektars, a few rangefinders, my Rolleiflexes etc.

Any chance you remember an old Chicago commercial photographer, Fred Countiss? He was my uncle.

I have the Calumet CC-400 (normal rail), CC-401 (long rail) and CC-402 (short rail). I keep seeing reference to CC-403, 404, 405. What are they?

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn Jones View Post

The original was the Kodak Master View (truly a pig of a camera). At Calumet we bought the tools and the right to reproduce and rebuilt it as the most popular VC in the world. The were made in Chicago, IL and we sold 85% of the VC's in the world made in the US.

Lynn
    How did "Burke & James" get involved with the camera? They offered the same camera but with red bellows and called it the Orbit. Howard Tanger

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn Jones View Post
    Hi Ashlee,

Lynn
    Does anyone know the range of years the CC-401's were manufactured? I'd love to know how old mine is.

Just wanted to chime in as I'm another fan of this camera. I really enjoy it.
    Reid

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rjbuzzclick/

Quote Originally Posted by ashlee52 View Post
    So every so often I end up with a free LF camera when I buy a "package" on Ebay for far less than the value of the included lenses and film holders. I just ended up with a "free" Calumet C400 (or whatever variant has the longer rail and bellows). WOW, this is a terrific camera... one that is as precise, flexible and well engineered as any of the many brands of monorails I've owned. I really like the geared rise, which is the movement I use the most by far. I'm a field camera kinda guy, but I really want to play with this thing a bit. It isn't even all that heavy, though the rail doesn't unscrew into short segments so it would be a bit complicated to carry in the field.

For anyone who wants to get into LF photography for very little investment have a look at these. They often sell on the Bay complete with lenses, dark cloths, film holders etc for way cheap. Just don't bid against me when there is a Calumet with three newish Rodenstock lenses selling for $240.
    Sounds like you picked up a Calumet CC-401. I just purchased one for myself this past week. My first LF so the learning curve is in motion.