Thread: Basic help with Firewire 400/800 and Windows 7

Basic help with Firewire 400/800 and Windows 7

I have a horrid new desktop PC running Windows 7 and I need to hook my Imacon 646 up to it.

I know that I need to install a Firewire card: Should I buy the newer Firewire 800 card and use a cable with 400 plug one end and a 800 plug the other (the Imacon is 400 speed)?

My old 400 Firewire card is not supported by Windows 7 (no driver available) so I guess that buying another Firewire 400 card is not a good idea for the long term.

Anything particular to look for when buying a new Firewire card?

Preston Birdwell

Re: Basic help with Firewire 400/800 and Windows 7

Phil,

Check to see if your motherboard has built-in FireWire 400 support. If so, you'll need the approriate bracket to install in the rear of the case and connect it to the board and enable it in the BIOS.

A FireWirfe 800 card and the appropriate cable will work.

Below are two cards from Puget Systems. These guys are great and will answer your questions in short order.

StarTech FireWire 800 PCI

SYBA FireWire 800 + USB PCI-E

Both cards are a shade over $50.

I could not locate the adapter cable on Puget's site, but I'm sure they will help you locate one.

I hope this helps,

--P
    Last edited by Preston; 8-Aug-2011 at 11:32. Reason: typo
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

Amazon.com has lots of Firewire cables.

Since Firewire is considered to be an Apple interface, I wouldn't expect enthusiastic windoze support.

- Leigh

Firewire was adopted by all manufacturer's long ago uner IEEE 1394. Its been windows supported for a decade. Its Apple that has actually left it behind in favour of thunderbolt. Not really a decision I disagree with as thunderbolt is faster, and you can't beat USB for universality so Firewire is stuck in a kind of no man's land.

If you want firewire support going forward though, windows is your best bet. My old 400 card works without a hitch in Windows 7, though if you're buying a new one you might as well get an 800. I would agree that you should see if it's already supported directly by your motherboard first. Much simpler that way and you don't have to give up a PCI slot.

Thanks for your responses - I decided to try my old Firewire card and although Windows 7 reports that it is working fine (it recognises it), when I open the scanning software it reports "scanner not found".

I recall it being very easy with Windows XP - do I need a new card or is the problem elsewhere?

That sounds more like a scanner driver issue than a firewire card issue. When you attach the scanner to the computer does it tell you that you've connected a new device?

What software are you using? If it's not Vuescan, download the free trial and see if it recognizes your scanner. Their driver support is pretty reliable so even if you don't intend to ultimately use their software it may confirm that the previously installed driver is your issue.