Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Photographing in Nova Scotia

Re: Photographing in Nova Scotia

OK , I'll try to post a few images that I've previously scanned. First is Peggys Cove on a foggy morning. Technikardan 45 or 45S with a 210 Nikon, Velvia 50, Praus development.

MA03-3-31web by hypolimnas, on Flickr

Well, poor resolution in conversion to jpg, sorry. I'm hurrying too much.
    Last edited by Nathan Potter; 9-Aug-2011 at 14:00. Reason: resolution comment

Another one of a section of cobble beach where it meets the marsh grass. Scots Bay on the Blomidon penninsula, Nova Scotia. Technikardan 45, 75 Nikon, Velvia 50. About 2005.

MA03-4-10web by hypolimnas, on Flickr

Now I'm really wanting to go there

That photo of Blue Rocks reminds me of where I found many fine images - Eastern Passage, which is on the mainland across from Lawlor Island. I hope it is as I left it in 1976.

Plan when you make your crossover to Cape Breton as there is only one bridge - traffic can slow you down. The vistas in Cape Breton Highlands NP are fantastic.

I have always meant to return, especially Cape Breton. PEI did not ring my bell, but that could be a personal thing.

I want to go now too.

john

Its amazing place to be there.Njoy your journey & don't forget to post some photos of the beautiful place after coming back.
    Last edited by lawrencebrussel; 12-Aug-2011 at 01:27. Reason: Spell

runs a monkey grinder Steve M Hostetter's Avatar

Careful shooting in the early morning regarding mist.. It won't take long before your lens will condensate to be safe I'd carry a cheapish lens you don't care much for and it will work fine

runs a monkey grinder Steve M Hostetter's Avatar

If your into fall color I would photograph all along the area of Amherst.. Very cool and unigue colors up there!!

Cape Breton is a lovely place to visit - Nathan described a great route around the island. Definitely visit Meat Cove and have a beer and appetizer in the Red Shoe which is owned and run by the singing Rankin family. Peggy's Cove is well worth a visit and thumbnail is shown below - best light is late afternoon and early evening in my opinion. I have already been twice this year to Cape Breton and am going back in October for the fantastic fall colours.

Ron Miller

Went up a few years ago in April in my usual vacation mode which is to never make plans. Big mistake. Off season in NS it is almost impossible to find a room. Only the major cities actually had open hotels/motels. But it is on my list to revisit. I really enjoyed the trek and wished I spent more time photographing in the small villages.

I didn't find much of interest inland.

yeah, take a lot more $$ for gas.

jadphoto

Hi,

Ann and I were there for a month last fall. The Bar Harbor ferry is indeed caput. I think the only one still operating is the one from Digby to St. Johns.

We drove into NS from New Brunswick, after waiting out Hurricane Earl in NB. Lots to see on the east side of Cape Breton Island. Lots to hear (music), especially don't miss the Celtic Music Center in Judique. The town of Pictou is challenging but fun photographically, as are many of the small towns up the coast. If your car will handle it, try some of the dirt roads, our van is 4wd so we took advantage of the backroads and found lots of fun places.

We did not get to Peggy's Cove, just too much rain, but if you do check out Sherman Hines photography museum, it's listed on the internet.

Instead we went from Halifax, another hurricane was on it's way up the coast, to Digby and took the ferry back to St. Johns NB. Do not miss the Digby scallops. The ones we had on the ferry were marvelous. They were not fried in diesel fuel like most ferry food.

We then drove to Maine and into New Hampshire for fall color. We both would go back to NS and Cape Breton in a minute if we didn't live 4,000 miles in the wrong direction. But sure glad we did it once. Next time we'll fly to Halifax and rent a car I think.

Have a great trip. We have visited Canada many times, usually BC and Alberta, and somewhere in Canada I'm sure there is an SOB, but we have yet to find him. Really gracious and welcoming people.

JD