Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reloading film holders on location

Reloading film holders on location

Heya everyone,

I am currently shooting with a toyo 8x10 field camera in some pretty remote locations. I am actually not using film but colour paper in the backs/holders.

I only have 6 backs, which gives me 12 shots, but i really would like a way to reload the film holders while out on location with no access to a darkroom.

I am sure other people have had to do this before and have got ingenious ways to do it so i thought I would ask before I go creating something

thinking either a lightproof bag or box with access internally somehow....

Lachlan 717

Re: Reloading film holders on location

Harrison changing tent works. Not too big/heavy packed down. You could possible get by with the Pup size; however, the regular would be easier.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan 717 View Post
    Harrison changing tent works. Not too big/heavy packed down. You could possible get by with the Pup size; however, the regular would be easier.
    For 8x10 the Pup isn't very practical, IME.

Don Bryant

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by D. Bryant View Post
    For 8x10 the Pup isn't very practical, IME.
    I'll second that!

Thomas

I use one of those for my 4x5. It is big enough to handel 8x10 as well.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...g_Room_25.html

funkadelic

I've got the jumbo. It works fine for 8x10 with plenty of room to spare. I think this model was designed for 11x14 users. I loaded some 5x7 holders in it last night with all kinds of free space in there. My dog could probably take this camping.
    I'm eager to try my 12x20 holders in it. I've heard it's tight, but can be done.

I got the "collapsible elliptical sided box" calumet one--it is JUST enough room to very uncomfortable load 8x10 filmholders....I doubt you can do more than 2 holders in there at a time...there is just enough room to pull out a darkslide---you need to pull out the darkslide to have room for the film. it's possible but a real pain. I've done it many times---that's why I got a bunch of filmholders and wait for dark of night these days

I woudn't plan on loading/unloading on location....in the summer heat.

you're best off investing in more filmholders than a changing tent--VERY impractical.

The changing bag/tent was made for location work, and one that can (barely) support 8x10, like the Calumet or PhotoFlex, costs about $75.
    Compare that to buying six 8x10 film holders for around $300, plus the weight of the tent/bag vs weight of six more film holders, and you can't afford not to buy a film changing tent.
    Yes, it's uncomfortable on a hot day; yes, it's a cramped space for 810.
    But in the end, you get to keep shooting when other non-changing-bag shooters have gone home.

When staying in hotels I use the bathroom for changing film. I bring in the coffee table and sit on the edge of the tub to change all my film on the coffee table. I shut towels in the door frame and stuff one under the door to keep any light out and close the curtains and shut the room lights off as well. It is rather easy to make the room dark. In smaller rooms that don't have a coffee table or room for one in the bathroom I put the tray that holds the coffee and such over the sink and change there. I have also in the past just duct taped the bedspread over the outside of the bathroom door, this worked equally as well but only with some bedspreads.

Drew Wiley

Ditto for the Harrison Jumbo, not the Pup.