Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mini portable darkroom? Or light tight container for single sheet stand dev??

Mini portable darkroom? Or light tight container for single sheet stand dev??

I don't have access to a darkroom and no means to modify anything around the apartment into a darkroom. Hence I have been dealing with film in a small film tent and developing in a jobo 3010. However I would like to try some stand development with efke25. Does anyone have an idea of how I can do this without using lots of chemistry? I was hoping there is a single 4x5 sheet light tight container that I can load with film in tent then fill with chem and leave alone for stand dev...?

hacker extraordinaire

Re: Mini portable darkroom? Or light tight container for single sheet stand dev??

You could develop in a light-tight film bag, like they use to package Ilford film. I've done that with Xray film before and it works pretty well.
    Science is what we understand well enough to explain to a computer. Art is everything else we do.
    --A=B by Petkovšek et. al.

Re: Mini portable darkroom? Or light tight container for single sheet stand dev??

I use a Mod Photographic 4x5 holder in a paterson 3 reel tank. Works great.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Large-Format-Fil...ht_4566wt_1118

Lachlan 717

1 and 2 series Jobo tanks are (relatively) cheap. Although probably not as cheap as Paterson.

In addition, consider the chemicals you'll be using. Something like one of the Pyro's will be a very cheap option, even in these tanks/volumes.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

If you're talking about 4x5 film, you have a couple of options. Bag development works, but might be messy inside your changing tent. The Paterson method works, too, but uses a lot of solution for a single sheet, which might not be a problem if you're using very dilute developer. For a single sheet, there's no reason to buy the Mod insert, just put the sheet of film into the tank, emulsion side towards the center of the tank, with the center column in place. Just be sure to fill the tank completely, so there's no possibility of the film moving above the level of the developer solution. Another option requires a little fabrication. You need two sections of ABS pipe long enough to accommodate your film, one end cap for each section, and a coupler. Assemble each section so that it has a cap on one end, and one section so that it also has the coupler on the other end. Fill one segment with developer and put your film in the other, inside your changing tent. Put the section with the film in it on top of the section with the developer, and connect via the coupler. Now you can take the assembled unit (which looks a little like a pipe bomb) out of the changing tent. When you want to begin development, simply turn the assembly over, so that the developer fills the section with the film. I think my tubes built this way required about 200ml of solution to cover a 4x5 sheet of film. The trick is to not spill the section with developer inside the tent. A temporary rubber stopper might be a good idea, and/or maybe a tray, just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay DeFehr View Post
    The Paterson method works, too, but uses a lot of solution for a single sheet
    I do 6 sheets at a time in my paterson 3 real tank. Check out the link for the holder from ModPhotographic that I posted.

Fuji used to make these gi-normous darkroom tents that folded up into the size of a briefcase. See
    http://cgi.ebay.com/fuji-frontier-da...item48411ea954

Quote Originally Posted by Light Guru View Post
    I do 6 sheets at a time in my paterson 3 real tank. Check out the link for the holder from ModPhotographic that I posted.
    Yes, I've seen them. The OP asked about processing a single sheet. I haven't tried the MOD insert, but I've read complaints about the outer sheets popping off during processing. Have you had this problem?

You can use an older Nikor daylight tank that holds 4 35mm reels, the tank is 7 inches tall. You can get easily get 1 4x5 negative in the tank, I normally do 2 at a time. The tank holds 1000ml of fluid.
    Questions and comments are always welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Jay DeFehr View Post
    I've read complaints about the outer sheets popping off during processing. Have you had this problem?
    Nope, that will only happen if you dont load it properly or if you over agitate.