Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Regno, Optimo Shutters

Foamer

Regno, Optimo Shutters

I've been looking at lenses for 4x5 c.1900-1918 lately. I love the vintage look, and might try lenses from this period as they are cheap. I currently use only 19th century lenses, plus shoot a 1937 Bessa. I keep coming across Velostigmat lenses, which I think must be antistigmats. The older ones are in Optimo or Regno shutters. My 1914 Kodak Special No.1 has an Optimo shutter, and it looks pretty much like a Regno shutter. Did the same company make both? I know they are both pneumatic shutters and probably not highly accurate, should be close enough for b&w film. So, anyone know much about these two shutters, Velostigmats, or lenses in shutter from period 1900--1920?

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Re: Regno, Optimo Shutters

Hi Kent. The Optimo is a much higher quality shutter than the Regno. Both made by Wollensak, the Optimo was their flagship for a long time, until the clockwork Betax took over the role. I have both, and though my particular Regno works OK, every Optimo I've had works well. I don't know how accurate, but all the settings usually work.

Foamer

Well, I've gone on to "discover" B&L Volute shutters. Those appear to be good. They are from the same or even slightly earlier period. How do the Volute shutters compare to Optimo? What were the best shutters from 1900--1920?

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria

"How do the Volute shutters compare to Optimo?"

They were both flagship shutters in their day, both OVER complicated and EXCEEDINGLY delicate. I doubt you can find anyone to CLA them. They both have their own thread size & pitch, the cells do not interchange to any other shutter. The Volute does look very pretty in chrome or brass BUT the 'machine working' is in the varnish NOT the metal, be very careful cleaning them, you can polish it right off.

"What were the best shutters from 1900--1920?"

Compound and Compur were the best, hands down.

Foamer

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Fitzgerald View Post
    "How do the Volute shutters compare to Optimo?"

They were both flagship shutters in their day, both OVER complicated and EXCEEDINGLY delicate. I doubt you can find anyone to CLA them.
    "What were the best shutters from 1900--1920?"

Compound and Compur were the best, hands down.

Ken Ruth tackled the Optimo on my 1914 Kodak Special No.1 and did a good job. He said to avoid using 1/300s as the blades could crack. Wasn't Compur originally called "Deckerl?" The Compound shutters seem to have been very successful and made for nearly half a century. B&J seemed to be pusing Kolios shutters around 1910, from what I've been reading.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria

"Wasn't Compur originally called "Deckerl?" The Compound shutters seem to have been very successful and made for nearly half a century."

F. Deckel - Munchen was the company
    Compound was their air-retard shutter, also licensed to B&L
    Compur was their gear-retard shutter licensed from Ilex

Ilex invented and patented the gear drive escapement and made out well with licensing fees.

Kolios shutters look pretty but were the low priced choice

Foamer

Yes, I read about Ilex. They were another big player in their day. Right now I'm looking for a good condition Velostigmat in Optimo or a Tessar in one of the older shutters, I think. The Heliars from that period sound great, but is more than I want to spend. These are not only nice, they were historically significant and represent a turning point from the older RR and Petzval lenses, roller blind shutters, into what became the modern form.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria

"Right now I'm looking for a good condition Velostigmat in Optimo "

What size and how much?

The B&L Tessars are often found in Optimos. There is one with a wide angle Velo on the auction site right now. Here is one I had with a Turner Reich convertible.