Thread: Anybody know about this lens"GOERZ 16 inch RED DOT ARTAR"

Anybody know about this lens"GOERZ 16 inch RED DOT ARTAR"

I own this lens before, and somebody ask me what year of this lens? Since the Lens# 073, that's the smallest number I ever seen. Is it that mean a early product?
    Do you think this is a rate lens in Red Dot?

thank you so much! I guess this is the only place can find out the answer.

A

Re: Anybody know about this lens"GOERZ 16 inch RED DOT ARTAR"

see the red dot on the front on the lens? ...that is the red dot that is referred to in the name "Red Dot Artar". So, yes. The pictured lens is a red dot...because, you see, it has a red dot.

I've no idea about the date of manufacture. It looks relatively new for an Artar.

The usual thought for these three-(and four-) digit s/n's is that they were parts that were sold to Schneider Corp. of America along with the other assets of Goerz (then owned by Kollmorgen), and then assembled into barrels made for Schneider. When new lens manufacture was subcontracted to Kern they were given 2-million s/n's, and when the designs were finally transferred to Schneider corporate, they were folded into the regular Schneider s/n scheme (14,xxx,xxx).

I used to have a s/n 013 47.5" Schneider RDA, and a 50xx 6" Schneider Dagor.
    They are ill discoverers that think there is no land, when they can see nothing but sea.
    -Francis Bacon

Quote Originally Posted by John Schneider View Post
    The usual thought for these three-(and four-) digit s/n's is that they were parts that were sold to Schneider Corp. of America along with the other assets of Goerz (then owned by Kollmorgen), and then assembled into barrels made for Schneider. When new lens manufacture was subcontracted to Kern they were given 2-million s/n's, and when the designs were finally transferred to Schneider corporate, they were folded into the regular Schneider s/n scheme (14,xxx,xxx).

I used to have a s/n 013 47.5" Schneider RDA, and a 50xx 6" Schneider Dagor.
    Thank you all, so what does that mean of the small S/N like your lens #013?
    Also it is a good lens?

The small serial number basically means it is a Schneider-produced lens made after they bought the Goerz name. So it is a very late lens. I've heard from reputable sources that Schneider let the Goerz people who made and matched up the Artar glass go, and that the Schneider versions were reformulated. I don't have any idea if the quality changed, but in general, Artars are very sharp lenses. I have the same 16-1/2" lens in the Goerz version, and I like it a lot. 16-1/2" was the shortest Artar that Goerz recommended for 8x10 at infinity.

Cheers, Steve

Yes, it is a good sharp lens. It is less contrasty than the Fujinon C and Nikkor M. Some people really prefer less contrast for black and white. Color is going to look a bit pastel. It all depends on what kind of look you are after.

Its a very fine lens in a vey fine shutter. You're most fortunate. Now go make some photographs!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Thank you so much for the detail answer!

Quote Originally Posted by dreamallen View Post
    Thank you so much for the detail answer!
    I'll add my two cents.

Just be certain both the front and rear element have identical serial numbers. Mis-matched elements may not yield optimum results. It's not unusual to see just the elements themselves sold without shutter or barrel.

The Acme shutter may be showing some age so it maybe advantageous to have it cleaned, lubed and adjusted.

I owned one until several years ago when I quit shooting 8x10 and I found the lens a bit to unwieldy for use on a 4x5 wooden field though it certainly producd fine images. I liked the way the lens drew light to film, a bit lower contrast for contrasty landscapes. If I had kept the lens I may have had it remounted in a modern Copal 3 shutter - not cheap but better exposure control with matching shutter speeds for the rest of my lens kit.

The selling price seems to have dropped a little in the past few years, perhaps to decreased demand or the size of the lens.

Enjoy the lens, it's a classic in the LF world!
    Last edited by D. Bryant; 28-Jul-2011 at 20:04. Reason: SP