Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The quality and technical differences in Process lenses at 600mm and longer?

Re: The quality and technical differences in Process lenses at 600mm and longer?

sent

Re: The quality and technical differences in Process lenses at 600mm and longer?

Thanks, Dan! Much appreciated!

Asher,

a horizontal repro camera .. is that the way you plan to go ?

joerg

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry L. Thalmann View Post
    Is the paper he's using to capture these images even capable of 8 lp/mm? I have no idea, so I'm asking.
    Asher said he was using Ilfochrome. I found a reference in the archives where Emmanuel Bigler was quoting an Ilford publication (no longer available at the link he supplied) stating that Ilfochrome was capable of far higher resolution than 8 lp/mm (more like 63). I'm not sure I believe that, but I'm pretty comfortable that it will outresolve good eyes.

And that's where the 8 came from, I suspect. I think Dan was saying that the prints should be as sharp as the viewer's vision when viewed up close, given that the photograph will be projected 1:1 in the camera.

Rick "putting the pieces together" Denney

Quote Originally Posted by rdenney View Post
    I think Dan was saying that the prints should be as sharp as the viewer's vision when viewed up close, given that the photograph will be projected 1:1 in the camera.

Rick "putting the pieces together" Denney
    Exactly

Quote Originally Posted by Joerg Krusche View Post
    Asher,

a horizontal repro camera .. is that the way you plan to go ?

joerg
    As Dan says, yes!

Two rooms separated by a wall with a square hole for a recessed bellows extending back into the camera room. The lens will be on a board so it will be exchangeable and perhaps there will be some simple ability to raise and lower the frame in the wall and with a little swing too. Just wood sliding on wood, nothing fancy. I'm concerned about narrow DOF!

So any insight to these lenses as to slight benefits in DOF. Seems they would all behave the same.

Asher

Quote Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post

So any insight to these lenses as to slight benefits in DOF. Seems they would all behave the same.

Asher
    The law is the law. If you want infinite (they say) DoF, use a pinhole. To my eye, fuzzy everywhere isn't good but tastes differ.

right,

in that range lenses are lenses .and for your planned application more or less exchangeable,

best,

joerg

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    The law is the law. If you want infinite (they say) DoF, use a pinhole. To my eye, fuzzy everywhere isn't good but tastes differ.

Dan,

For sure pinhole would be far less expensive, LOL and I did think of that! However, there are only three approaches to lighting: having subjects stay still for as long as it takes (even in the brightest light they can tolerate), using massive flash or some combination.

Except for for still life, a blindfolded nude, (or a blind folded-nude for that matter), the limited tolerated to high intensity continuous room light is a barrier to work where 3 ISO medium is used in the camera!

I do know that 32,000 W.S. at f22 works. That covers losses from the filtration to get rid of UV and get the color temp right. And of course, that 32,000 Joules is just the figure of the nominal settings. If one changes the MFR it could be much different.

So as one increases DOF by stopping down, each time one would double the power of the strobe needed!

Asher
    Last edited by Asher Kelman; 1-Aug-2011 at 11:21.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post

At 1:1 the 1200/12.5 Apo-Nikkor covers 175 cm
    Hi Dan,

as i am not even a starter in wet plate photography, but collecting all information i can. i have some open questions. My Idea is to get portraits. torso upwards, but also landscapes maybe with people standing in it. my Idea is to get a Nikkorr 1210mm f12.5 . using this in combination with a light proof tent as first idea to be flexible...maybe later my VW bus T3

- So my main question is. if I under stand right the distance of a 1200mm Nikon lens to the wet plate would be 175cm displaying a 1:1 ratio ...

- Is there a chance to get a projection of a max size of 1x1m

- what if I want the person to step closer... i need to move the plate to adjust the sharpness etc...

can also use this kinda huge setup to make a 30x40cm image?

and is it worth to buy specific this nikon lens. (quality wise and price wise 2300$ )

maybe important to know i plan mostly to shoot in sunlight. but i also own 3 Profoto gen. with 3 1200W lights

thanks for helping me out with my very first and most important peace of gear

smiles from switzerland

farid