Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The quality and technical differences in Process lenses at 600mm and longer?

Re: The quality and technical differences in Process lenses at 600mm and longer?

Quote Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
    relatively low cost.
    I got my mint LOMO O-2 600mm (4/4 Dialyte) for some $30, now they are more expensive, perhaps $150 can be offered.

Lens lp/mm ratings in russian catalogs were very low, but I guess that testing conditions were quite different (%MTF) in the soviet times. I was not expecting much, but I've been inspecting several 8x10 shots and the lens it's very sharp, I'm curious about performance, and I plan to check it well. If no enlargement it's planned for sure it has way more IQ than required for total graphic quality.

it has a primitive coating, but's coated.

https://www.arnecroell.com/eastern-block-new.pdf

Re: The quality and technical differences in Process lenses at 600mm and longer?

Farid, you're trying to be another Richard Learoyd. Google him. You might even try to find him. I don't do anything remotely like what he does so am not a very good person to ask about what he does, how he does it, and how he solved problems.

Learoyd uses, according to my friend Eric Beltrando, a 760 mm Apo-Ronar. He started with a 1200 Apo-Saphir, found it too long.

You should learn close-up photography arithmetic before you spend a penny on anything but that and before you dream more. You're a new arrival here, may not be aware of all of this site's resources. Look in the FAQs for information about lenses and about close-up work. There's another resource, a list of links to lens catalogs and so on, that you should also consult. A link to it is in the first post of this https://www.largeformatphotography.i...mainly)-lenses discussion. In particular, see its discussion of books on closeup photography. If I were you I'd buy a copy of Lefkowitz and study it.

I've never understood how people who use tent cameras maintain lens-film plane alignment. To me that problem seems quite difficult.

You're new here, we know very little about you and your experience/skills. Please tell us more, it will make communicating with you easier.

Good luck, have fun,

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    I got my mint LOMO O-2 600mm (4/4 Dialyte) for some $30, now they are more expensive, perhaps $150 can be offered.

Lens lp/mm ratings in russian catalogs were very low, but I guess that testing conditions were quite different (%MTF) in the soviet times. I was not expecting much, but I've been inspecting several 8x10 shots and the lens it's very sharp, I'm curious about performance, and I plan to check it well. If no enlargement it's planned for sure it has way more IQ than required for total graphic quality.

it has a primitive coating, but's coated.

https://www.arnecroell.com/eastern-block-new.pdf
    Papi, in the USSR resolution was usually measured at full aperture.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Papi, in the USSR resolution was usually measured at full aperture.
    Thanks Dan, it's always a pleasure to learn something from you.

The LOMO 600 (@ f/22) shaped very well a cigarette butt from 170m far, so I guess that at least 40Lp/mm had to be there. I'll check it.

I've never understood how people who use tent cameras maintain lens-film plane alignment. To me that problem seems quite difficult.
    i would maybe do it with a laser measuring device... or similar but i know what you mean...

Hi Dan,

thanks for your response.

You're new here, we know very little about you and your experience/skills. Please tell us more, it will make communicating with you easier.
    this is stuff i do most of them taken with the D3s Nikon and Leica M9

www.faridlaid.com

but i also have the PB-6 Bellow mount from nikon...usually combines with the macro 105 f 2.8 nikkorr lens ... but i also used the 20mm retro mouned .. not much into macro though at the moment.

I own 3x 1200 Profoto generators and 3 1200W Lights ... so enough light to get something out of it i hope

I just have no clue about the ratios soon as i take a lens at a sertain distance from the body

smiles
    farid

farid, Impressive images on you web site!

thanks a lot Jon, glad you like it

best regards
    farid

I think what might be interesting for you is work of Brendan Barry https://brendanbarry.co.uk/category/work/