Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Enlarging Filters as Taking Filters ?? Feasible?

Enlarging Filters as Taking Filters ?? Feasible?

Has anyone used enlarging filters as taking filters? with good results?

I have a vitax no4, and want a little yellow filtration for b&w - bigger than any filters I have on hand - thought about cutting down a 0 through 1 kodak polycontrast filter and placing it inside the barrel...

Any thoughts? Any issues?

Thanks,
    Dan

Re: Enlarging Filters as Taking Filters ?? Feasible?

Maybe try it on a digicam first, if it has a B&W option.
    Failing that, give it a shot on film, and post your findings.

Enlarger filters are not optical grade quality since they only need to go into the light path. Not between the lens and the paper.

I don't see why not.
    Marie Cosindas used Scotch tape to hold cc filters over her lens until she got the colors that she wanted, and it's probably the best color photography to come out of the 20th Century.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Big Negs Rock!

Bob, although I know the enlarging filters are not at the quality of the camera filters, they are still an optical element between the lens and the paper on some systems (like mine) or behind the lens, similar to BTL filters used on camera -- generally gels. I think the issue of quality (or lack of) is a result that photographers wouldn't pay the additional money for optical quality filters for their enlargers. I'd be curious to ask those photographers who have used both dichroic heads v/s filters what their experience was. Dan, I'd use whatever floats your boat. I've used lighting filters on cinema cameras with good results. (I know which manufacturers use the technology to make optical quality lighting gels. After all, the original Wratten gels were optical clear -- at least they were sold that way back in the day.) ;-)
    Mark Woods

Large Format B&W
    Cinematography Mentor at the American Film Institute
    Past President of the Pasadena Society of Artists
    Director of Photography
    Pasadena, CA
    www.markwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Woods View Post
    Bob, although I know the enlarging filters are not at the quality of the camera filters, they are still an optical element between the lens and the paper on some systems (like mine) or behind the lens, similar to BTL filters used on camera -- generally gels. I think the issue of quality (or lack of) is a result that photographers wouldn't pay the additional money for optical quality filters for their enlargers. I'd be curious to ask those photographers who have used both dichroic heads v/s filters what their experience was. Dan, I'd use whatever floats your boat. I've used lighting filters on cinema cameras with good results. (I know which manufacturers use the technology to make optical quality lighting gels. After all, the original Wratten gels were optical clear -- at least they were sold that way back in the day.) ;-)
    Optical filters are as close to plano parralel as possible, or, with gels, exceptionaly thin. Enlarging filters are neither and the material they are made from are not optical grade quality. But to each their own. I am sure there are people thrilled with the resukts from the bottom of a coke bottle, after all, it is glass.

Thanks Everyone... I appreciate the replies...

I hadn't considered that enlarging filters weren't optical grade...think I'll wait and try a gel...

Though I am curious as to placement of the filter within a barrel lens - between lens groups (without altering any spacing) - Is there a reason not to do this?

Thanks again,
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    Thanks Everyone... I appreciate the replies...

I hadn't considered that enlarging filters weren't optical grade...think I'll wait and try a gel...

Though I am curious as to placement of the filter within a barrel lens - between lens groups (without altering any spacing) - Is there a reason not to do this?

Thanks again,
    Dan
    Feel free to unless you do not want to change the optical characteristics of your lens. Filters are normally designed to be placed in front of the lens. If a lens is designed to put filters inside the lens the lens manufacturer normally either supplies them with the lens (30mm Zeiss Distagon for example) or if they want to be able to alter the point where the image rays come to focus on the image plane (Rodenstock HR Digaron-S lenses) then they offer the correct corrector plate for the lens for the application (corrector plate needed for these lenses with film but not with digital).

If you freely just place something in the optical path you will effect the lens performance and if you stick it behind the lens you will shift the plane of sharp focus by 1/3rd the thickness of the filter and probably degrade the image as well.

Put the filter in front where it normally belongs and use excellent filters, unless you are trying to effect the results by compromising the lens quality.

"think I'll wait and try a gel"

Most gels are optical quality. You just need a holder to keep them as flat as possible and as close to the lens as possible. But there are many gels that are not optical quality. Such as lighting gels.

I think an optical grade gel held in front of a camera lens is also known as a filter. So we've come full circle!