Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgrading to Lion?

Upgrading to Lion?

I won't be until the dust settles a bit, but for those who cannot resist the urge and are using Adobe products, there is a list of known issues with those products on OS 10.7 Lion as well as some suggestions.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/905/cpsid_90508.html

Re: Upgrading to Lion?

Upgraded yesterday. Have been using PS CS5, InDesign CS5, Word, Excel 11 with no problems, Vuescan also works. Have had a couple of crashes and freezes emptying the trash and WebMail from Earthlink isn't recognizing name or password on our hosted site.
    But I like it so far. And the scrolling you get use to pretty quickly.

I'm going to wait. Rosetta is no longer part of OSX so some device drivers are going to break. Might as well wait for scanner, printer, etc., drivers to be redone.

Bob

Abuser of God's Sunlight

I'm going to wait a bit, for the usual reasons.

Curious to know if anyone has recommendations for gesture-friendly input devices for a desktop mac, since Lion is pushing hard in this direction.

I like my mighty mouse (as long as the stupid scroll ball stays clean). I don't particularly like trackpads.

I'm interested in some of the options like the wacom tablets (Bamboo, I think?) that let you use either a pen or finger gestures. I've worked on these on other people's machines but they were never set up for gestures.

I might keep my mouse and then also have a tablet for use of the pen and gestures, but only if this is a solid and glitch-free solution.

Thoughts?

I've been using the newish wireless mouse that has no buttons or balls, etc, and it supports jesters.

http://www.apple.com/magicmouse/

Recommended,

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by paulr View Post
    I'm going to wait a bit, for the usual reasons.

Curious to know if anyone has recommendations for gesture-friendly input devices for a desktop mac, since Lion is pushing hard in this direction.

I like my mighty mouse (as long as the stupid scroll ball stays clean). I don't particularly like trackpads.

I'm interested in some of the options like the wacom tablets (Bamboo, I think?) that let you use either a pen or finger gestures. I've worked on these on other people's machines but they were never set up for gestures.

I might keep my mouse and then also have a tablet for use of the pen and gestures, but only if this is a solid and glitch-free solution.

Thoughts?

Judging from how Final Cut Pro X is giving people such fits I think I'll sit this out a while too.

Paul, I thought I didn't like trackpads until I discovered that I can use the trackpad for gestures with my left hand while mousing with my right. It sounds funny but it works great, especially since this lets me disable some of the gestures on the mouse and get more normal Googlemapping

The gestures include regular swipes as well as three and four finger ones for Expose and such. I expect this technique to become even more useful once I upgrade to Lion.

Joshua Tree, California

Not a chance I see no reason to. Feature bloat if you ask me.

I did. 2011 iMac frooze while attempting to play a YouTube video.
    So far no issues with various Adobe products.
    Excepting patches in the coming weeks.
    Social Engineer

So far so good on my end, with two mouse issues notable. Keep in mind that I'm using a Wacom Intuos2 tablet. One, scroll wheel activity inverted, though this easily remedied via system preferences. Two, in iTunes I have to use both mouse buttons to drag anything around.

I've had to say goodbye to a few bits of software, but nothing has come up as much of a loss, save Rosetta Stone (which I bought five years ago when I still had my PPC G4), and I'll sort that out in time.

At worst, a few hiccoughs. I'm sure the OS will get fully up to speed in the next month or so.