Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: separation anxiety

separation anxiety

anyone know if this can be repaired?--I suspect this will only get worse in time and totally spread throughout---or has anybody had something like this that just remained for years? There is a brown ring all around the periphery with these bubbles making their way in--I'm thinking this is separation? I've never seen anything like this before

I wouldn't want to try to do this myself--where can this be repaired if it's repairable?

funkadelic

Re: separation anxiety

If it can be repaired, Focal Point is the place to send it.
    http://www.focalpointlens.com/

don't bother. it will not affect anything. i have one that was WAY worse and i used it with zero issues. i have the lens 5 years and it never got worse.

yes, you can do it yourself. search here. steven tribe once had a good write up about how he did it.

eddie
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

I emailed the guy with a quote.

whether or not it gets worse, simple physics--this is between 10-20% of the glass area--this is a big bright lens--therefore, this will cause significant flare--I see no way around it. other than to use a shade to mask off that portion of the lens---in that case it won't cover 11x14, which is what I need....

no way am I going to try to fix this myself no matter how easy--it's too easy to make a mistake and these don't grow on trees

I'm with eddie--that amount of separation won't have any noticeable effect. Why don't you do some shooting before you drop a couple hundred bucks on a repair. I recently saw a a note from Andrew Moxom about Focal Point ruining his Dallmeyer 3B. They (over)heated the front group and the lenses oxidized--clouding over. They should have used a xylene soak to dissolve the balsam--it takes a couple weeks, but time is money, you know.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryS View Post
    I recently saw a a note from Andrew Moxom about Focal Point ruining his Dallmeyer 3B.
    Damn! are we sure it was toasted? that sucks!
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

If it was my 3B, I'd be the one doing the toasting and roasting...of Focal Point. Andrew mentioned something about them polishing it out, but that frequently leaves the lens messed up.

Edge balsam deterioration is quite stable and I have never seen further worsening of anything of mine.
    Based on own experiences, I would never heat anything over 60 deg. C.
    I, like the focal point example given, have had massive devitrification (devit) on a single lens when dying out the balsam. The opaque/crystalline layer extends well below the lens surface - strangely enough only on one side.

I've had a lens with this, and I haven't noticed any change in the 20 years that I've had it. As others have said, trying photographing with it.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

If it were "stable", it wouldn't have happened in the first place. I suspect temperature and humidity (fluctuations and extremes) have a lot to do with it, but I also suspect once it gets a good foothold, the pressures exerted between the lenses by the existing separation may well exacerbate things.

It may or may not affect the image; the only sure way to tell is to make images, repair it, and make the same images for comparison. I'd guess iut may soften detail a bit at the edges and reduce contrast a touch (both effects fairly slight) when the aperture is wide open. Of course, if you repair the lens and find it does affect the image, you run the risk that you like the look with the separation ...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."