Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 4x5: tray or tank?

4x5: tray or tank?

I've been considering shooting some B&W film again. Someone gave me a 50-sheet box of Efke 100.

I used to do all of my 4x5 film in trays (1:71 HC110...if you must know!), but, I'm in an apartment, and happen to have the option of a stainless tank with reel for 4x5 sheet film.

I will end up testing various techniques for agitation and development times, but I would love some suggestions!

Thanks!

Re: 4x5: tray or tank?

Quote Originally Posted by nonuniform View Post
    I've been considering shooting some B&W film again. Someone gave me a 50-sheet box of Efke 100.

I used to do all of my 4x5 film in trays (1:71 HC110...if you must know!), but, I'm in an apartment, and happen to have the option of a stainless tank with reel for 4x5 sheet film.

I will end up testing various techniques for agitation and development times, but I would love some suggestions!

Thanks!
    You'll get a variety of responses because it is a personal preference more than anything else. Personally I only like trays and have never gotten even results with tanks. I don't particularly like hangers either because I get surge marks from the holes in the metal frames. But since I don't like sticking my hands in the developer (and raising the temp) either, I came up with this solution: simply take a 4x5 hanger, bend the handle part so the film-holding part lays flat on the bottom of a tray while the hanger part sticks up. Voila - tray processing without fingers in the soup.

Tank! Tank!
    Just kidding, whichever works best for you. If you're used to trays, stick with it; the most important thing here being well-developed negs.
    I've used Jobo tanks for all my 4x5 since the beginning, and I wouldn't go with anything else, but that's what I'm used to.

The other option is to use a drum.
    There is a site that talks about using the Unicolor print drum for 4x5 sheet film processing.

I've used Jobo tanks since the 70's much easier. Failing that a Paterson Orbital.

Ian

I think the problem with a print drum is that the film might stick to the inner surface, and will suffer from uneven development. Paper is much less sensitive to this.

Hangers in a tank.

Quote Originally Posted by nonuniform View Post

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by cyrus View Post
    But since I don't like sticking my hands in the developer (and raising the temp)...
    Another solution to that problem is to use Diafine, which is temperature insensitive.

- Leigh

hacker extraordinaire

I develop in trays like God intended. It requires concentration to avoid scratches, but scratches ARE avoidable, and I always get even negatives. Tanks/hangers, on the other hand, would randomly suffer uneven development no matter what technique I used. I never got scratches in tanks, so I guess pick which you hate most--scratches or surges.
    Science is what we understand well enough to explain to a computer. Art is everything else we do.
    --A=B by Petkovšek et. al.

I have tried the Taco method, trays, tubes, hangers in tanks. You name it I have tried it. I just got some chiba tubes, They look like they are going to work great. There is kind of new 4x5 film that holds 6 sheets in a double reel patterson tank. $79 bucks though for some plastic gadget. It looks promissing. If you are short on space and cant set up a water bath for all your trays, the a tube/daylight tank systems will be the best option in my opinion.

Trays are the classic method and never fail to get the job done. In all the methods they all have drawbacks. I like to load in the dark and work in the light. With trays you will be in the dark the longest. Also the tubes use the least chemestry. Good luck, AKf