Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seeking halation effects w/ sheet film in plate holders...

Seeking halation effects w/ sheet film in plate holders...

Hi,
    I'm new at LF, and I'm interested in reproducing some of the interesting halation effects that were common with some kinds of plate photography. My understanding is that the halos are caused by light reflecting off the back of the film or plate and causing a secondary exposure. I think the amount of spread is greater with glass plates than with film since the material is thicker and lets the light spread out more before it reaches the emulsion. I think the intensity of the secondary exposure must have to do with the reflectiveness of the back surface.

So:
    Am I on the right track if I attach x-ray film to the front of ordinary glass, reflective mylar film to the back, and put the sandwich into a plate holder?

And if I am on the right track, I've got a million questions about plate holders, glass, adhesives, etc.

(Also, I won't be offended if someone demonstrates that this is trivial to do in photoshop.)

Will

Re: Seeking halation effects w/ sheet film in plate holders...

You can get plenty of halation with ordinary film, lenses and holders just by shooting into the light and exposing very generously.

I think he's talking about that nice glow you got around light sources in antique processes-much more appealing IMO than what you get on modern films.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Well that makes things simple now, doesn't it! Thanks Oren, that is really helpful, and probably added a few years to my working life.

*shuffles feet* gee, it seemed like so much fun to make it complicated...

Will

Kirk,
    Yes, essentially that. I first came across examples of that on The Online Photographer, which I can't find now, or I'd link them. I know it's a common feature of some IR films, but they make for poor examples because it's hard to sort out Hall effect stuff, diffuse IR, and red filter punchiness. I've never thought to try the obvious, like Oren suggests.

I know what you are talking about but personally I have not any experience with it. I have seen some very pleasing results of that kind with antique soft focus lenses and or antique processes. Somebody will chime in.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

For a variety of reasons, I tend to expose generously, so I see halation effects on my roll and sheet film fairly commonly. I usually don't mind it; it goes with the medium. FWIW, I use mostly TX roll film and HP5 Plus sheet film; that may matter.

It's certainly possible that there will be some differences in the "flavor" of the halation effects you'll get with glass plates, older lenses, etc., and that one might find those more interesting. Apologies if I sounded dismissive; it wasn't intended that way. It's just that Will mentioned that he was new at LF, and I do have a bias toward advising beginners to keep things simple at the start.

Oren,
    I didn't take that as dismissive at all, and I quite agree about keeping things simple.
    I'm in continuous conflict between the desire to make good photographs as simply an efficiently as possible, and the desire to complicate technical things as much as possible in the spirit of play. You gave me good advice.

Will

Quote Originally Posted by Will Frostmill View Post
    ...and the desire to complicate technical things as much as possible in the spirit of play.
    If we had a "thumbs up" smiley I'd insert it here.

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

There are films available without an antihalation backing. You could try the Efke Aura film for what you want.

Another option is to use a good soft filter, like Tiffen SoftFX or Zeiss Softar.