Thread: disposal of PMK Pyro?

disposal of PMK Pyro?

I've recently begun deveolping my large format negs. in PMK Pyro. So far I've h ad good results. Disposal is quickly becoming a concern. I have been storing t he spent solution in empty milk jugs but need to find a permanent disposal solut ion. I have a septic system and city water. Gordon Hutchings explains that for the past 14 years he has been draining the pyro from his darkroom into his sept ic system. I am concerned about taking this route because of pyro's toxicity. If anyone could offer a suggestion as to the disposal of it I would greatly appr eciate it. Thanks!

disposal of PMK Pyro?

Sorry, I'm no Pyro mayven, and no chemist either, but I'd check with the local municipalities about chemical disposal unless you live in California. They may have a system already in place for this sort of thing, a local dump/recycle center or a annual or bi-annual hazmat run or some such. I'd try to be careful though, I've read horror stories about over-zealous beaurocrats enacting onerous legal penalties for small home darkroom users.

Try contacting some of the larger labs in your area, assuming they are within driving distance. When I worked at a farm based arts camp with a well and septic system, we saved our expired chemicals for 3 months or so in plastic 5 gallon gasoline cans. When we were close to full, we drove them in to a large commercial lab in the city, 45 minutes away and they disposed of it for us. Couple of days later we drove out and collected the empty jugs. This was all conventional black & white though, and we went through about 5 gallons of D- 76/week.