Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wide angle with good coverage for a 5x4 Speed Graphic?

Wide angle with good coverage for a 5x4 Speed Graphic?

Hi,

I'm new to LF and would really appreciate some advice. I'm looking to get a lens in the 24mm to 28mm (35mm equivalent) range for interiors in relatively confined spaces. It would have to have enough coverage to allow me to correct for converging verticals. The final print sizes will probably be no bigger than 12x16 and black and white. I don't want to spend too much and was hoping to get something for a few hundred pounds or less. Is there anything that would fit the bill?

Cheers,
    Bruce

Re: Wide angle with good coverage for a 5x4 Speed Graphic?

Nikon 90 f8

Perhaps one of the 90mm F8 lenses would work? Rodenstock, Fuji, Schneider, Nikon, they should all be pretty good. They've been made for a long time, and there's lots of examples out there. They are a little dimmer than the F6.8 or F5.6 versions out there, but those will be larger and more expensive lenses. If it's an older lens, make sure the shutter is working well, or be prepared to have it cleaned and adjusted.

Ed beat me to it. The Nikon has more coverage than the others listed, and it's a little more expensive as a result.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

I used a 90mm anglon on my 4x5 speed graphic, but had to drop the bed to prevent the the focusing tracks out of the image area.It's not a problem with the 127mm.

Mike

I also use a 90mm f6.8 Angulon on my Graphics, not a lot of coverage if you want to use movements. I've used a 75mm f8 Super Angulon a couple of times as well but it's normally fixed on my 617 camera,

Ian

Thanks guys. i'll put the Nikon at the top of my shopping list. Just had a look on Ebay uk but there are none there at the moment. I'll wait for a few weeks and then turn my attention to a Super Angulon which seem quite common. Going beyond the 90mm focal length, is there a similar lens to the Nikon with a wider angle of view?

It's a 127mm Ektar I've got at the moment and I've been surprised how sharp this old lens is in the centre even at f5.6 (and considering its front "cleaning marks"). It doesn't seem to have a lot of coverage though.

Keep your eyes open for Rodenstock Grandagon-N, 75mm. Got mine for 300€ and I absolutely love it.

If you want cheap I've noticed that the older single coated 90mm f8 Fuji seemed to be selling for less than $200 in ex condition. I got one with a camera outfit and it seems to be a nice sharp lens.

Mohammad Reza Alvandi ALVANDI Camera's Avatar

I'm really happy with my Schneider super angulon 75/5.6. You can get the coated old version for interiors in relatively confined spaces. Super angulon 75 on 4x5in is about equal to 19hor & 22ver mm in 35 mm camera. Super angulon 65 on 4x5in is equal to 16hor & 19ver mm in 35 mm camera.
    http://www.mr-alvandi.com

How well do the super wides, say 75mm and wider, work on a Speed Graphic?
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know