Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Guidance for the 8x10 Buyer...

LJ Segil

Re: Guidance for the 8x10 Buyer...

I'm very happy with the Canham 8x10. It has front base and axial tilt, swing, rise and fall, and rear base tilt, swing and shift. The rear standard comes forward with short lenses so there is no problem with getting the camera in your wide angle shots. It has 36" of bellows and is quite stable (I use some 4+ lb vintage lenses on it and can shoot nicely with a 30" Red Dot Artar) but it is not overly heavy at 9.4 lbs (per Keith's website) for the standard model. Has reducing backs for 4x10, 5x7, and 4x5, or you can swap the rear standard for ULF or various sizes if your ambitions increase in size. Takes Sinar boards, though Keith will customize a front standard for whatever you like. His service is outstanding. Highly recommended if you want a more modern camera than some of those being discussed.
    Larry

Wow, I had no idea that Bruce was no longer manufacturing the Wehman 8x10 camera - very sad development.
    Juergen

Deardorff Sales and service

I sent you a private message.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by J.Davie-S. View Post
    This forum has been treasure of help in the past. I wonder if anyone can give me some food for thought in my search for a new camera. I know there are endless posts about this question but askers usually are to vague. I'll try to be more specific.

I own a Toyo 8x10 monorail and it's very bulky. I'm looking for a more portable camera to take into the field but heavy enough that it's not going to blow over or shake when I release the shutter. Although I'm not familiar with field cameras I think they're my best option. I would like a camera that has the widest range of movements, plus I'm interested in doing close up work so I also need something that has long bellows capability. (I'm not a technical wiz so focal length to bellows extension confuses me).

Deardorff view cameras seem to be tried and true but I'm not sure how long the bellows can extend. I know that 32'' bellows are standard and they're able to extend about 28" if using the movements. Also Deardorff doesn't have back movements. Is that typical for field cameras?

Does anyone have some advice for me. I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,
    Joseph
    Ken Hough Deardorff Refinisher since 1982
    Deardorff Factory refinisher / remanufacturer 1982-88
    Deardorff Factory Historian 82-88
    Deardorff Cameras on Facebook
    www.deardorffcameras.0catch.com

Deardorff is the bee's knees IMHO.
    You might look for a Tachihara triple extension, although the prices might be not too far from that of a good usable 'dorff so it might be more of a choice between new and nice or used & classic. I had a KMV once, it was a nice camera but I found the Deardorff more suited to my tastes.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

dude---zone vi cameras are IT....first view camera I ever bought--an 8x10 z6---still got it an will never sell---I may buy another---theres a NICE one at the calumet chicago store for like 1800 bucks last time I was there---that's what you want I guarantee. I want to buy it---I got the less heavy ultralight with slight longer bellows but less nice metal hardware...but still very happy...untill I saw the beauty of the regular z6 810...I kind of want it, but I got one you know....and mine works...used to it...the other would only be window dressing....or "just in case"..

I'd get that one--I've been looking at it every time I go there.
    Last edited by johnielvis; 2-Jul-2011 at 19:48. Reason: forgot

OH---I do LIKE canham too..buy NEW in my opinion and you will be proud owner forever...forget buying ANYTHING you don't fondle in your own hands and check everything first...picutres DO deceive...particularly buyers that want to see what they want to see published by buyers that want you to see what they want you to see.

You just missed a Tire Kicking test drive with Richard Ritter and his cameras. I made the mistake of picking up a Ritter 8x10 in one hand and my Zone VI 4x5 in the other. The 8x10 felt a lot lighter. Great camera. I know two owners. They both rave about the camera. I have made it a point not to get too close. I might start selling stuff to buy one.
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

I have a Wehman and really like it for cost, weight, durability, full features, asymmetric rear swing, compactness/portability. But they are no longer made.

If I were to buy a new camera, I would seriously consider a Ritter at the top of the list. You should buy the "Owner's Manual" video for his ULF cameras to get a good idea of the cameras. Really impressive. Plus it is 25% lighter than my Wehman which is just 50% the weight of the Toyo that I had.

http://www.lg4mat.net/LFcamera.html

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

I know I'm not going to find anything better than I have. I've looked at several other makes, in all sizes, and nothing comes close.

Gandolfi "Precision" 10x8".

I bought a Wista 8x10 a few months back as my first 8x10 and I love it. Takes Sinar boards and is fairly lightweight. I'm unsure how easily available they are, but I think mine is terrific. I've thought about selling it to get a V8, but then there's the hassle of new lensboards etc. A friend of mine has a Canham and loves it, just depends on how much you want to put into it all.