Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Questions about Linhof 13x18 and accessories

Questions about Linhof 13x18 and accessories

I've just purchased a gorgeous Linhof Technika 13x18cm that Bob Salomon has dated to 1955. I'm still in awe at its amazing build quality (and weight) but have a few questions about the camera itself and some of the accessories it came with.

1) Does it offer front tilt? I see you can drop the bed but can't find any knob or tang to tilt the standard.

2) When I pull the front standard out and it engages the first stop on the bed (for 120mm lenses), the focusing indicator thing seems to point at 1m, not at infinity, whereas when I pull it further out to the second stop (for 210mm lenses), the indicator points to infinity.

3) One of the lenses that came with it is a beautiful 300mm Symmar convertible, is there enough bellows draw to focus it in 500mm mode? Apparently, it needs 61cm.

Re: Questions about Linhof 13x18 and accessories

Now it came with some accessories, a few of which I'm not exactly sure what they are.
    Is this a neg holder for enlargers? There's 13x18 engraved on it.

Here's another, but only one plate plus 9x12 reduction rather than the previous one, which is a jointed double plate. Again, for enlargers?

It came with this massive lens hood, 86mm thread, the only thing written on it is Nr 35, would this be from Linhof or Schneider? It fits the 300 Symmar but was it designed for a wider angle lens?

There's also this lens hood which has 68 engraved on it, with a case which has BW on it, I've never seen this type of mounting system, any info?

And it also came with this 86mm Schneider "grun" filter, it has Nr 35 engraved on it like the huge lens hood. I've never seen such a solid filter, it weighs 160g! It's pretty dark green, would it be suitable/designed for B&W work?

Many thanks for any advice and info.
    Simon

Hi Simon,

Congratulations with the camera, I held one once, it's a beauty both hand held it isn't, much too heavy.

It looks (by the looks and the date) as an TechIII, I think you do not have forward tilt, but only backward tilt. At least that is the case with my Tech II (why on earth only bw tilt ??..Bob..?)

Anyway if you drop the bed and tilt the lens plane back, both "standards" are parallel. Apply a little raise to put the lens in the optical centre again, and now you can use the tilt function for a fw tilt again. Not the best way (be careful when you have applied tilt, and stop down the lens and cock the shutter, you'll easily move the tilt plane..) but it works..

See also:

http://www.cameraquest.com/techs.htm

Enjoy, run some Foma through it!

Cor

Thanks for the link Cor but I still can't find how to tilt the front standard, perhaps Bob will pop in.

Another question, it came with some Linhof 13x18 film holders, there's a little lever on the side, is that to ease out the film?

"2) When I pull the front standard out and it engages the first stop on the bed (for 120mm lenses), the focusing indicator thing seems to point at 1m, not at infinity, whereas when I pull it further out to the second stop (for 210mm lenses), the indicator points to infinity. "

The focus track is made up of two tracks I believe - upper and lower. Try sliding the top track backwards towards the camera body until it clicks into a notch. I believe there is a little silver tab on the lower track that if you press down on it will let you push the top track back towards the camera body and a different notch & tab should lock it in the correct place. This may reset the tracks so the focus scale lines up correctly for the 120mm lens at infinity. Working from memory here....
    Rbt