Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Questions about Linhof 13x18 and accessories

Re: Questions about Linhof 13x18 and accessories

The 13x18 Technika III without a viewfinder attached was simply called "Technika III", the version that included a viewfinder was called "Technika III E". Later on, the 13x18 models that included a viewfinder were called "Super Technika", i.e. "Super Technika IV" and "Super Technika V".

Cheers,
    Andreas
    To infinity - and beyond...

Thanks for the info guys, are the rangefinder 13x18's pretty rare? Andreas, have you seen anything like those neg holders?

Quote Originally Posted by Valdecus View Post
    The 13x18 Technika III without a viewfinder attached was simply called "Technika III", the version that included a viewfinder was called "Technika III E". Later on, the 13x18 models that included a viewfinder were called "Super Technika", i.e. "Super Technika IV" and "Super Technika V".

Cheers,
    Andreas
    Not according to the Linhof Story Book. Both the E and non-E versions had a rangefinder. None had a viewfinder. That was an optional accessory as were the Linhof wire sports finders.

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Flynnie View Post
    Can't see your pic but I think I know which one you're talking about, wonder if they ever made a 13x18 with rangefinder.
    Mine had: http://www.bruraholo.no/Cameras/Linh...nhof_Tech.html

I didn't use it here, though - didn't have a cam for the 300mm Xenar.

And the picture I took:

Nice camera, and built like a tank. Weighed like a tank, too...

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    Not according to the Linhof Story Book. Both the E and non-E versions had a rangefinder. None had a viewfinder. That was an optional accessory as were the Linhof wire sports finders.
    Bob, you are right when you say that none had a viewfinder, this was indeed an optional accessory. I had inadvertently used the term 'viewfinder' instead of 'rangefinder', and 'rangefinder' is what I actually meant to say.

However, the 'Linhof Camera Story' book has two references regarding the differences between the "Technika III 13x18" and the "Technika III E 13x18":

1- On page 102 of the second edition describing the Technika III in detail it states that "... The Technika III was also available without a rangefinder." This indeed implies that the model 'Technika III' (non-'E') had a coupled rangefinder, so one could deduct that both the E and non-E versions had a rangefinder. Did you refer to this section of the book?

2- In the 'Technical Data Summed Up' section on page 140, the two different versions (E and non-E) are described as follows:

-- Technika III E 13x18/5x7 : Folding camera with built-in rangefinder; made 1950 to 1956

-- Technika III 13x18/5x7 : Similar to model III E, but without rangefinder; made 1954 to 1956

I was referring to this information when I was trying to say that the non-E version did not have a rangefinder. BTW, I always believed that the "E" stands for "Entfernungsmesser" ('rangefinder'), but couldn't find any references for this assumption so far.

Cheers,
    Andreas

Quote Originally Posted by Flynnie View Post
    Thanks for the info guys, are the rangefinder 13x18's pretty rare? Andreas, have you seen anything like those neg holders?
    I don't think that the rangefinder Technika III E 13x18's are particularly rare, they turn up on eBay in Europe once in a while. Here's my own Technika III E 13x18cm/5x7" from around 1955:

I believe that the negative holders are most likely for the additional enlargerer unit for the 13x18 Technikas ("Kaltlicht-Beleuchtungsansatz"), but I am not entirely sure.

Cheers,
    Andreas

Thanks for the info Andreas, am searching for Kaltlicht-Beleuchtungsansatz, will see what I can find.

I've just bought a 1947 13x18 Technika II (dated by Bob Salomon). The sr. number is just a 3XXX. When it arrives and after holidays I'll share pictures of it. I know it's a postwar camera, but just barely, maybe it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by carbo73 View Post
    I've just bought a 1947 13x18 Technika II (dated by Bob Salomon). The sr. number is just a 3XXX. When it arrives and after holidays I'll share pictures of it. I know it's a postwar camera, but just barely, maybe it helps.
    Not sure that it was really made post war. That particular model is listed as 46 to 48. It might have been left over parts or cameras from wartime. The Linhof factory was destroyed late in the war so regular production could not have started again in 46 until the factory was rebuilt.
    In a stairway at the factory there are a series of pictures of the factory after it was bombed. Not much was left!

If you look at a picture of the front entrance to the factory you will see that it was built to look like a farmhouse to try to protect it from bombings. It almost worked!