I have an Epson R1800 (hoping to get something better for B&W someday) and am going to give the 8.5x11 Canson Platine Rag a try for a B&W print sometime soon.

I had a 4x5 printed to 24x30 on an Epson 9800 at Dick Blick recently and am pretty impressed with the result and how the paper resembles traditional fiber based photo paper.

One thing I'm confused about -- the instructions say to select Epson Premium Luster as the media type for Platine Rag and also Photo Black Ink (vs Matte Black for other Canson/Epson papers). When I do select the Epson Luster, the gloss optimizer setting defaults to on (I can turn it off) -- should I turn it off for this paper or leave it on? I'm pretty sure the paper has a slight glossy finish already (as does Epson's Luster paper) ... Also, unsure if I need to worry about Photo Black vs Matte Black ink on my printer? My printer has both colors, though I don't know how to select one or the other for a print job. Maybe this happens automatically depending on media/paper selection?

I'm using the profile for my printer and this paper from the Canson Infinity site and following the instructions to let PS manage color, use perceptual rendering intent and black point compensation on.

The instructions also mention leaving high speed printing on and to use a print quality of 1440dpi (I have Photo, Best Photo, and Photo RPM)? Actually just read 1440 corresponds to Best Photo here: http://www.redrivercatalog.com/sbpri...riverhints.htm

Thanks (and hoping for neutral grays ),
sg