Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SEAL 210M Dry Mount Press Thermostat Adjustment/ SEAL Contact

SEAL 210M Dry Mount Press Thermostat Adjustment/ SEAL Contact

Hi all. I have a SEAL Commercial 210M dry mount press. It has been in storage for some time and it looks as though the thermostat needs adjusting. I found a PDF copy of the manual online but it says to recalibrate the thermostat contact Bienfang Technical Services. I underastand SEAL and Bienfang have gone through numerous ownership changes and I have been unable to find the current contact information.

Can anyone explain to me how to properly verify the temperture being produced by the press and how to adjust the thermostat? OR can someoen provide the current contact information for Bienfang/SEAL? Thank you!!

Re: SEAL 210M Dry Mount Press Thermostat Adjustment/ SEAL Contact

I used a long steel probe thermometer set in between mat board (with the dial sticking out, of course!) to measure the temperature when I first acquired my press.

I don't know how to calibrate the t-stat.

For dry-mounting photos, the thermostat is only an indicator to get you in the ballpark. As such, precise adjustment is not required. Other applications may require more precision.

When mounting photos, final temperature setting must be done with a mount stack matching your work, with meltable wax test strips below the print, where the dry mount tissue is.

You leave the stack in the press for the nominal mount time, then remove it and evaluate the melt gauges. Adjust the thermostat as needed so you get the correct temperature at the tissue.

- Leigh

The best way to check the platen temperature is with a digital thermometer and a long lead thermocouple. Something like a Fluke digital meter with accuracy of +/- 0.5 degrees would be excellent. Put the TC on the platen, then close the lid and wait a few minutes for temperature stabilization before reading.

An analogue hotplate thermometer (less expensive) will work also, such as made by the Pacific Transducer Corp. However that should be calibrated using a known standard.

Can't tell you how to adjust the thermostat - I just arrive at the desired temperature by checking the thermocouple and placing a mark on the dial.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Quote Originally Posted by Fragomeni View Post
    Hi all. I have a SEAL Commercial 210M dry mount press. It has been in storage for some time and it looks as though the thermostat needs adjusting. I found a PDF copy of the manual online but it says to recalibrate the thermostat contact Bienfang Technical Services. I underastand SEAL and Bienfang have gone through numerous ownership changes and I have been unable to find the current contact information.

Can anyone explain to me how to properly verify the temperture being produced by the press and how to adjust the thermostat? OR can someoen provide the current contact information for Bienfang/SEAL? Thank you!!
    Believe it or not but Elmer's glue now owns Seal. 888-240-6021, parts 866-667-4836

Thumbs up Re: SEAL 210M Dry Mount Press Thermostat Adjustment/ SEAL Contact

Quote Originally Posted by Brian K View Post
    Believe it or not but Elmer's glue now owns Seal.
    Hey... Sticky is sticky!

- Leigh

Thanks everyone for the help! You're all great! I'm using the press to mount prints so I just need a standard ballpark reading. I'll need to get a hot plate thermometer to see what the actual temp is. When I set it to 300F the meter reads 250F so I'm assuming the meter is reading 50 degrees off but I'll only be able to verify that with a thermometer.

I'll also try giving Elmers a call to see if they might be able to give me instruction son adjusting the thermometer.

Typically the adjustment of thermostats involve adjusting the small screw in the center of the shaft to which the knob is affixed.

The way to do this is first remove the knob. Next with a small screw driver adjust the small screw in the center of the knob shaft. Turn the small screw counter clockwise to increase the temp setting and counter clockwise to decrease the temp setting. Small increments can make quite a difference in temperature...try 1/8 turn to start and then after the temp stabilizes see whether the set temperature agrees with the indicated temperature.

Elmers no longer handles Seal, the new owners of Bienfang and Seal distribute via Omega Brandess. Contact them at 800-777-6634
    "Great things are accomplished by talented people who believe they will
    accomplish them."
    Warren G. Bennis

www.gbphotoworks.com

The way to do this is first remove the knob. Next with a small screw driver adjust the small screw in the center of the knob shaft. Turn the small screw counter clockwise to increase the temp setting and counter clockwise to decrease the temp setting. Small increments can make quite a difference in temperature...try 1/8 turn to start and then after the temp stabilizes see whether the set temperature agrees with the indicated temperature.
    Thanks Donald. You wrote "counter clockwise" twice. Can you clarify which direction is which please?

Elmers no longer handles Seal, the new owners of Bienfang and Seal distribute via Omega Brandess. Contact them at 800-777-6634
    I spoke with Elmers parts department a little while ago and they said to call Sherry at the 888-240-6021 number. I called this and it threw me off becuase it seemed to lead to a framing shop or something . I'll give them a call tomorow when they're open. I also try giving Omega Brandess a call. Thank you!