Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "The Holy Grail of Pinkham lenses" What is your Holy Grail of soft focus Lens

"The Holy Grail of Pinkham lenses" What is your Holy Grail of soft focus Lens

Prototype Pinkham & Smith Soft Focus Lens. Is the Pinkham the holy grail of glass? If not what is your Holy grail of soft focus lenses, and why.

Link to the " Holy Grail of Pinkham lenses"

I am not trying to promote a sale of someones gear and I dont feel like screen grabbing all of the images of the listing so I posted the link.

First off why is this lens so valuable? Are they that good? Or are they just hard to find?

I am sure some of you here own a Pinkham lens, (eddie maybe a closet full) are they your best lens. Please can some of you share your personal experiences with a Pinkham soft focus.

I goggled it, I read some stuff, I just want to hear from some members here their thoughts and feelings

Re: "The Holy Grail of Pinkham lenses" What is your Holy Grail of soft focus Lens

Just thought I should point out that this is the same lens that I purchased as a buy it now on eBay back on April 23rd for $350. The seller never sent it to me and tried to extort $3000 from me to send the lens once he was alerted that the lens was worth much more than the buy it now price, even though it was incomplete and in terrible condition. In my assessment He was mis-informed about value and now he is quite greedy. He now wants $4500 buy it now, opening bid $1900. But...the original buy it now was $6500 that he lowered to $4500 after it was listed for only a few minutes. I guess he got impatient when no one snatched it up for $6500! Value on Pinkhams is difficult to gauge but this lens with the one glass and chip, missing the second glass could be valued at $1000 as a parts lens in my opinion. When he refused to send it I offered him $1500 for it but he wanted $3000. I declined because I felt he was taking advantage, and after all, I already bought it. Since I have been collecting and studying Pinkham & Smith lenses for many years, of course I wanted this lens even though it was not complete, but certainly not for $3000 and certainly since I already bought it for $350. So this is the history of this lens and perhaps I'll end up with it after all with eBay's help but I'm not hopeful. It has been reported to eBay the first time it was listed because he didn't send it and I just reported it again as a fraudulent listing. This lens is a doublet as is indicated by the engraving on the barrel but the original listing of April 22nd only describes one glass with a chip. I did contact the seller to see if he had the other cell but he told me that there was no other cell and this is the way he bought it. The new listing says "the large element was with this lens stored in a box for years, I recently checked to see if it would fit and it seems to." Clearly he came to the conclusion, with much information provided by me, that this lens is far more valuable with two elements and not with the one that he found it with and how he originally sold it for and would not ship. Clearly the second cell, he is claiming came with this lens, is not original and not Pinkham and Smith. I can't tell anyone not to bid on this lens and I don't know what will happen once eBay investigates but anyone interested in this lens should know that at least one of the cells is not original and that this seller is fraudulent. There are several posts about this lens in this section of the forum that I recommend any LF forum member read if they are interested in this lens. Geoffrey

Re: "The Holy Grail of Pinkham lenses" What is your Holy Grail of soft focus Lens

What are the chances of me picking this lens to query. That seller sounds like a complete Turd. Since you paid him you know his name and email. It is in your Paypal records. I would post as much information here or start a new thread about him. What a POS, I have had dealings with Liar thieves, like this before. Seems like there is a lot of profit to be had just by being educated about old lenses.

Seriously this stuff can be had for penny's in some cases and worth mega bucks. I guess this is why this hobby/ profession is so cloak and dagger but mainly cut throat.

I wonder how he became aware about the lens value after he sold it to you instead of before. I hope he gets exactly what he deserves. He should have to sell the lens to you for the $350. I remember somewhere in Ebay TOS that when you bid it is a contract!

How did this punk, weasel out of selling you this lens? I was shocked at the condition of the lens, separation is one thing but a huge chip is another. You say it had only a single element, now he is offering two elements. I wonder if he found some literature on the lens and bought some random element from Surplus Shed or something.

If he found a rear element, am surprised he didn't replace front and back based on the shyster behavior he exhibited.

I should pull his chain a little and see if he will deal outside of ebay, and then turn him in. I could make a new fake ebay account, just to give him a taste of what it feels like to get screwed around. Karma, I hope he faces it soon!

Geoff. Did you leave negative feed back saying he does not ship item etc etc. That may have more of an impact to potetial buyers.
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Pinkhams are the best. I only have a couple but I was able to shoot a few different series lately. Wonderful lenses.

Why will have to wait for another day or another person. Typing on this i phone is too painful!

Ps. I would not buy the above lens. Too suspect for me. There is a nice 14 inch for sale on the bay. Buy that one!
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Also if you paid him for the lens, how come you weren't able to leave him negative feedback, he has 100% positive?

He "the large element was with this lens stored in a box for years, I recently checked to see if it would fit and it seems to."

Wow based on what you said he listed it the first time with a single element! Now he has two, what a Liar!

Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    Pinkhams are the best. I only have a couple but I was able to shoot a few different series lately. Wonderful lenses.

Why will have to wait for another day or another person. Typing on this i phone is too painful!

Ps. I would not buy the above lens. Too suspect for me. There is a nice 14 inch for sale on the bay. Buy that one!
    I should buy the Pinkham 14" Bi that starts at 3,000 or the 17" real one with the broken aperture for $6,000 yeah right.

Eddie what model do you have? You have multiple 6,000 lens but can only afford an Iphone to stay connected, lol. A Color Nook, or hell a kindle 3G would be way easier to stay connected and easy to type on compared to an Iphone. Hell you should be rocking the Ipad, and no I am not buying.

You are the big baller, got all the best gear. Even the Holy grail x2. "only have a couple" this is funny! No doubt in my mind you have the glass, you probably gave 5 bucks each, found them in a trash bin or a box full of tool's in some random antique shop. Sell one of those babys and buy a net book and stop bitching about the Iphone.

Just like all u camea and lens buyers. I want it all for cheap. That is the best AND weighs nothing, fits in my pocket, and does not need a tripod.

YOu keep talking about buying better stuff. Why not send me one?

You asked about the holy grail. I just complained about the typing. I never said it dis not work......only I am not willing to give you the full details cause if it....too bad for u. Buy me an i pad II and I promise to type u longer answers!

Ps. Search this forum and u will see that e bat seller stopped by here.....just for the info and then left. Has not been back since may 28. Figures!

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

joseph

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffrey_5995 View Post
    ... and I just reported it again as a fraudulent listing. This lens is a doublet ... Geoffrey

Fraudulent listings on ebay are quite common-

I've seen triplets listed as Petzvals, for example-
    since Petzvals sell at a premium, unsuspecting and uneducated buyers might be tempted into a bidding war, to the benefit of the cynical and unscrupulous seller, who styles himself as an authority on the subject.

I'd say you should probably take care out there, it's a minefield...

joseph

deleted...
    Last edited by goamules; 17-Jun-2011 at 05:31.