Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: German reisskamera with bronze lens

German reisskamera with bronze lens

I have this old camera with a couple of plateholders and I'm curious what I can do with it, practically speaking, other than decoration.
    The camera is is perfect functioning shape and the bellows appears brand new. The lens, however, is a different issue. It is a Universal Rapid Aplanat Serie "E" No.3 - the front element rattles and the rear element has some ... pine tar? ... showing on an edge. The two holders are lovely. They have that reassuring smooth click when closed, and a much better thought-out locking system for the dark slide than modern double-darks. There are various sized adaptors in the plate holders -- one plate holder is marked 18x13 but the adaptor inside is clearly not that size. What I presume is the name of the original owner and the city of his residence in Germany are also noted on the plate holders.
    It is a lovely camera and I'd like to be able to use it for some alt process. Is this practical? I'd have to get a better lens though, for starters.

Re: German reisskamera with bronze lens

Hornbogen is a rare German surname I never even heard so far, but going by Google it is widespread in Apolda, so it probably belongs to a old local family. These cameras usually were branded by the seller rather than the maker, and cameras owned/used by studio operating professionals mostly remained unbranded. So it is likely that Max Hornbogen was a camera dealer or photographer in town who supplied that camera to some amateur or institutional customer.

Personally I don't consider Reisekameras particularly suitable for wet processes - they have a tendency to wear out and come loose even in normal use, and won't survive extra weights and manipulation on the rear for long. Price (low due to their high numbers, long span of production and lack of industrial branding which reduces the interest by systematic collectors) and portability make them a common wet plate choice nonetheless - but in general, just about any more boxy non-collapsible camera type will do better as long as you do not intend to move about without a car.

Quote Originally Posted by Sevo View Post
    Hornbogen is a rare German surname I never even heard so far, but going by Google it is widespread in Apolda, so it probably belongs to a old local family. These cameras usually were branded by the seller rather than the maker, and cameras owned/used by studio operating professionals mostly remained unbranded. So it is likely that Max Hornbogen was a camera dealer or photographer in town who supplied that camera to some amateur or institutional customer.

Personally I don't consider Reisekameras particularly suitable for wet processes - they have a tendency to wear out and come loose even in normal use, and won't survive extra weights and manipulation on the rear for long. Price (low due to their high numbers, long span of production and lack of industrial branding which reduces the interest by systematic collectors) and portability make them a common wet plate choice nonetheless - but in general, just about any more boxy non-collapsible camera type will do better as long as you do not intend to move about without a car.
    I think its actually "Max Kornbogen"
    The camera is quite lightweight. I guess I'll try it as a wetplate camera then! Just need a lens . . .

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

Reisekameras work great for general photography, too.

The lack of extensive swings and tilts is rarely a problem, and the shift/rise on the lens panel can be just perfect. The strong (read: solid) front standard also make them perfect for experimenting with big heavy lenses - I have no problems with a 640mm Aplanat or a 500mm f:5.5 Aerotar on my 24x30cm Reisekamera.

Many of them also close down to very very thin, meaning that you can use very short lenses, and still use full rise and shift on the lens board!

It present I only have two of these beasts, one 24x30cm and one 13x18cm. Unless you count the Gandolfi Universal as one, but that's more of a "rear focus view camera". Mostly due to the nationality of the maker than any real difference.

Sadly I don't think mine has any movements.
    The lens, if I am not mistaken, is circa 1890's, right?

I have one just like that and have used it occasionally for wetplate with no problem at all. Remember to varnish the inside of the holders to prevent any rot from the wet chems.

Cyrus, the two knobs on the front allow you to raise and lower the lens board on one, and slide it left or right on the other. Loosen the knobs, move, and tighten to hold.

Some of these have small movements of the back too, swing and tilt.

Oh - and it's hard to say with the lens. is it a Goertz? A Nitszche? Or even a Suter, or an Anonymous?

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Tjugen View Post
    Oh - and it's hard to say with the lens. is it a Goertz? A Nitszche? Or even a Suter, or an Anonymous?
    no name.

Quote Originally Posted by cyrus View Post
    no name.
    Anonymous - that means all bets are off, it could be any time between 1865 and 1935.