Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Doors and Doorways

Re: Doors and Doorways

Damn that spot but its too late now.

"Delapalachia" Somewhere in Georgia.

Good thread idea Ken. I have a few door pictures, some of which pose the old question "Green door, what's that secret you're keeping?".

The first is a triple doorway at the ruined Tintern Abbey in Monmouthshire.
    The second is one of the barn doors at the medieval Bredon Barn in Gloucestershire.
    The third is the door to the anglo-saxon church at Deerhurst in Gloucestershire.

salted 5x7 print of wife's antique quilt fabric stash dresser
    The only trouble with doin' nothing is you can't tell when you get caught up

Testarossa Winery, Los Gatos, CA

David Schaller

A little different. Comments welcome. Not sure what I think....

Wisner Tech., Schneider 150, Acros @80, Pyrocat @70 degrees, 7 minutes, agit: 1 min.

I love the idea for this thread -- and many of the images in it. So I'm going to give it a bump by posting one of my own back door.

5X7 - 150 fujinon w - FP4+ - Rodinal.
    Bill Poole

"Speak softly, but carry a big camera."

Quote Originally Posted by David Schaller View Post
    A little different. Comments welcome. Not sure what I think....

Wisner Tech., Schneider 150, Acros @80, Pyrocat @70 degrees, 7 minutes, agit: 1 min.
    It's mysterious and well-crafted, but may not have an equivalent degree of sheer beauty or whatever makes a third leg of the "tripod". If there were a story connected to it - if it were a documentary image - then it would be brilliant. As a standalone image (in my humble opinion) it needs something to complete it, to compliment the mystery dimension.

Here's a variation. I'll remove it if you like, since it is more than a mere comment. I've exaggerated certain elements, and diminished others.

Your photo reminds me of a door photograph that has always impressed me, by Paul Strand. Among its many admirable qualities, is a "spiral" carved out by the alternating layers of architecture.

David Schaller

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    It's mysterious and well-crafted, but may not have an equivalent degree of sheer beauty or whatever makes a third leg of the "tripod". If there were a story connected to it - if it were a documentary image - then it would be brilliant. As a standalone image (in my humble opinion) it needs something to complete it, to compliment the mystery dimension.

Here's a variation. I'll remove it if you like, since it is more than a mere comment. I've exaggerated certain elements, and diminished others.

Your photo reminds me of a door photograph that has always impressed me, by Paul Strand. Among its many admirable qualities, is a "spiral" carved out by the alternating layers of architecture.

Hi Ken,
    Thank you for your comments, with which I heartily agree. I only had a couple of lenses with me that day, and my time was also limited. My intent was in part documentary, to show as much of the architecture as possible, as well as artistic, and the compromise I came up with leans too much toward the documentary side.

I love the Strand photo, of course, and I will have that in mind should I be able to get back into the building. I think a longer lens will be better, leaving out the skylight, which will still show the planes created in the ceiling. But the distant door and outer door/window will be more dramatically central to the image. I will certainly post the resulting image, if I can get back in there soon. Thank you again for your thoughtful analysis!
    Dave

Kodak 2D/14" Ektar - 8x10 HP5+ - Scanned w/Agfa Arcus II - Colorized 10/10