Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: comparison between Epson V700 and Howtek D4000

comparison between Epson V700 and Howtek D4000

I did a comparison test a few month ago.

This particular film is captured with EOS 3 body + 24mm 1.4L lens, this picture is captured on manfrotto tripod (very steady). Film used is 135 Provia 100F 36 exposures. Venue: Shanghai, China.

The D4000 had a loosen belt back then, so my image of this drum scanner had a bit fuzziness around the edge, but I don't have the time to redo the test after getting new belt. Scanned at 4000DPI @ 6 micron with Silverfast Ai.

v700 is done with Doug's wet mounting kit after 1 whole day of careful adjustment of heights at 3.7mm. Scanned at 6400DPI with Epsonscan.

Both were wetmounted with Aztek SMF mounting fluid. v700 scanning results were sharpened moderately, drum scanning results were left as is.

v700:

D4000:

v700:

D4000:

I supposed after belt replaced, D4000 should be showing more clarity. Also, after tried Vuescan for v700, the result is better than the epsonscan software, especially with proper exposure control, but unfortunately, I don't have time/energy to redo a more specifiy comparison.

Both costs almost the same: V700 $500 used on kijiji with doug wet mounting kit $120(incl shipping). D4000 $700 used comes with 4 drums and mounting station.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

2024 update:

Sony A7R IVA, Signa 105mm MACRO, captured at f5.6 with cinelite light table (CRI >99%, R9 >95%)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	830-bus.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	73.7 KB 
ID:	246660

Name:	truck wheel.JPG 
Views:	6 
Size:	20.7 KB 
ID:	246661

Name:	flag.JPG 
Views:	6 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	246662

Name:	roadsign1.JPG 
Views:	5 
Size:	22.2 KB 
ID:	246663

Name:	roadsign2.JPG 
Views:	4 
Size:	24.2 KB 
ID:	246664

Name:	skyscraper.JPG 
Views:	3 
Size:	7.0 KB 
ID:	246665
    Last edited by zhengjdc; 24-Feb-2024 at 11:31.

Re: comparison between V700 and Howtek D4000

More comparison:

v700:

D4000:

v700:

D4000:

Re: comparison between V700 and Howtek D4000

v700:

D4000:

v700:

D4000:

Re: comparison between Epson V700 and Howtek D4000

Thanks for posting the results of this test, I always appreciate it when other people take the time to do this kind of thing because I hate doing it myself. But I think you could have saved yourself the testing time. I don't think anyone has ever claimed that the Epson flatbeds are any good with 35mm film except maybe for a really tiny snapshot or for the web. But for a real print from 35mm film, even just an 8x10, they're pretty much useless. I didn't find mine real good even for moderate sized prints from 6x7 but some people think they're o.k. for that, certainly not 35mm though.

I guess I should mention that I'm not sure it's appropriate to post test results from 35mm film in a large format photography forum. Doesn't bother me but it might bother some people.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    Thanks for posting the results of this test, I always appreciate it when other people take the time to do this kind of thing because I hate doing it myself. But I think you could have saved yourself the testing time. I don't think anyone has ever claimed that the Epson flatbeds are any good with 35mm film except maybe for a really tiny snapshot or for the web. But for a real print from 35mm film, even just an 8x10, they're pretty much useless. I didn't find mine real good even for moderate sized prints from 6x7 but some people think they're o.k. for that, certainly not 35mm though.

I guess I should mention that I'm not sure it's appropriate to post test results from 35mm film in a large format photography forum. Doesn't bother me but it might bother some people.
    The purpose is to demonstrate scanners, not a discussion of films. The best way to test a scanner is by using 135 format with superb lens as most LF film has much much lower PPI which even a $50 crappy scanner delivers somewhat OK result.

Most people found v700 sux becoz they don't do a proper height adjustment, or not as carefully as I did. V700 still lacks shadow details pe se but other than that, I found it being pretty good at scanning films, even 135, and vuescan+doug's wet mounting kit is a must have.

however, since nowadays, a decent working drum scanner costs no greater than $1000 put v700 really into a tough position as the wet mounting on v700 is such a pain in the a$$, I still remembered that I spent great deal of time to roll out an air bubble trapped there.

Quote Originally Posted by zhengjdc View Post

however, since nowadays, a decent working drum scanner costs no greater than $1000 put v700 really into a tough position as the wet mounting on v700 is such a pain in the a$$, I still remembered that I spent great deal of time to roll out an air bubble trapped there.
    It is true that one can find drum scanners for sale at bargin prices. However, it is important to note that most of this equipment is nearly two decades old, very large and heavy, and one can expect to spend a fair amount of time with upkeep to keep them going. Same is true of the professional flatbeds.

Odd that you found wet mounting with the Epson a pain in the a$$. My own experience is that fluid mounting with a flatbed scanner is quite a bit easier than with a drum.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    It is true that one can find drum scanners for sale at bargin prices. However, it is important to note that most of this equipment is nearly two decades old, very large and heavy, and one can expect to spend a fair amount of time with upkeep to keep them going. Same is true of the professional flatbeds.

Odd that you found wet mounting with the Epson a pain in the a$$. My own experience is that fluid mounting with a flatbed scanner is quite a bit easier than with a drum.

Sandy
    The roller that I had is too soft to remove some air bubbles and it's always a pain to remove them all....

on the other hand, mounting station has great rubber roller, great clamping power, most likely 1 roll is enough to remove bubbles.

after I got the drum scanner, v700 is left there collecting dusts.

Quote Originally Posted by zhengjdc View Post
    The purpose is to demonstrate scanners, not a discussion of films. The best way to test a scanner is by using 135 format with superb lens as most LF film has much much lower PPI which even a $50 crappy scanner delivers somewhat OK result.

Most people found v700 sux becoz they don't do a proper height adjustment, or not as carefully as I did. V700 still lacks shadow details pe se but other than that, I found it being pretty good at scanning films, even 135, and vuescan+doug's wet mounting kit is a must have.

I understand that you were comparing scanners. But making the comparison by using a film format that one of the scanners is unsuited for, and then getting a result that anyone familiar with Epson flatbed scanners could have predicted without doing any testing, seems pointless to me. But it's your time and if you think it's a meaningful test that's fine.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

forgot to insert the original picture, here we go:

circled out with red rectangles were where comparison took place.

you are comparing sharpness... but looking at the entire image, colors are off...
    i have a V750 myself... just to make preview... using C41 negative film, when i'm in the process to make a large print or a book, i'm renting an imacon X1 or X5... the main reason is color !