Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Requirements and standards for HABS/HAER photography

multiplex

Re: Requirements and standards for HABS/HAER photography

thanks !
    seems like a new requirement that was added
    within the last few years. its good that they want it for a facade view one
    of the front facade without .. i can see how it is useful, but
    the scale stick really detracts from the imagery.

john
    Last edited by jnantz; 26-Mar-2018 at 05:16.

Schaf, for labeling the negative sleeves (envelopes) are you using a 2B pencil? Also, do you deliver in a binder, perhaps acid free?

I believe you mentioned that they are no longer using 3-hole-punched digital cards—so do you simply place the “unpunched” digital 8.5x11” photo pages into Print-File “page protectors,” and same with the film/envelopes? I’m wary of the film envelopes falling out.

Also looking for an affordable perhaps acid-free binder, if that applies.

Thanks,
    Paul
    Dallas Texas HABS / HAER / HALS Photography
    Photographer/Author Marfa Flights: Aerial Views of Big Bend Country (Texas A&M University Press)
    Petroleum Oil Pics

#2 pencil. Label before putting the negs in the envelopes.

They will toss your binder so just slip the prints into a 9x12 envelope or a Fedex envelope.

The negatives are separate, I put them in a ziplock bag with a desiccant pouch and rubber band them together in a stack.

Then put the whole batch in a box and make sure to only fed-x or UPS the package to Heritage Documentation Programs, the US Mail gets irradiated. The mail-stop number is the most important part:

-- " Only use UPS, FedEx, or DHL to send surveys to Washington, DC. All U.S. Postal Service (USPS) mail sent to Main Interior is subject to irradiation. That process is likely to damage survey materials. I am particularly concerned about the prospect of damaged negatives or hand-drawn sheets that can't be recreated, but irradiated paper and CD/DVDs would also be a problem.

We were told to use this address when we moved to this building. The mail stop number is key. If this is one line too many for the address, I'd combine HDP and NPS. "

Mary McPartland
    Heritage Documentation Programs
    National Park Service
    1849 C Street NW, Mail Stop 7408
    Washington, DC 20240

Mary is the collections manager today at HDP. Alternatively, you may also be sending it to a regional NPS office. Call ahead and ask the regional reviewer how they want the deliverable formatted. They will probably accept it the way I have explained above, but they may also want certain i's dotted and t's crossed.
    `
    –Stephen Schafer HABS | HAER | HALS & Architectural Photography | Ventura, California | www.HABSPHOTO.com

Schaf,

Thanks for sharing this key information. I have labeled negatives, scanned film, and submitted PDF's of photo page for client's preliminary submission. Once that passes muster, I will print the digital photo cards.

MANY THANKS!!! Couldn't have learned the HABS-HAER mojo without you.

ps: the skies in your exteriors are tastefully darkened - are you using black and white filters or polarizer most of the time. I am ready to order a B+W screw-on Polarizer as it fits my 90mm and 150mm (my go-to lenses on 4x5). What do you recommend?

Paul
    Photographer/Author Marfa Flights: Aerial Views of Big Bend Country (Texas A&M University Press)
    Petroleum Oil Pics

Hi Paul,

I use a polarizing filter religiously. I have a 100mm square filter setup. Currently using Lee but I’m considering some of the other 4x4 filter holders. I also use blender, attenuator and graduated ND filters. But have never needed color filters. I know that may sound like blasphemy.

Blenders and attenuators are mostly cinematography gear and i am not aware of a lot of other LF photographers using them. But i find that there are many instances when a graduated filter is too pronounced but there is a visible change from one side of an image to the other of a couple stops. A blender will fix that. I’d start with a .9 (three stop) 4”x5” or 4”x6” blender.
    `
    –Stephen Schafer HABS | HAER | HALS & Architectural Photography | Ventura, California | www.HABSPHOTO.com

Schaf,

I’ve shot my next one. This one is HABS. On my last assignment’s (HAER) 4x5 neg film, I used the PITT pen, but it did not write on the film base as densely as I had hoped. Still legible, but not as deep or solid black as I had hoped. Your H3 negs markings look so clear and in the scans, white. How do you get them so nice?

I prefer not to use the white eraser, to first scuff the surface, as I don’t want to create debris right before I scan. That being said, I need to find a solution, so I’m open to ideas. I’m ready to proceed with marking negs and scans, so let me know at your earliest convenience.
    Last edited by pchaplo; 8-May-2018 at 08:56.
    Petroleum Oil Pics

Quote Originally Posted by pchaplo View Post
    Schaf, I’ve shot my next one. This one is HABS. On my last assignment’s (HAER) 4x5 neg film, I used the PITT pen,.
    I used to use the Pitt pens. I'm now using the Staedler Pigment liner 0.4mm. buy two or three sometimes some are better than others. I used Amazon.

-Schaf

Schaf,

THANKS!!!

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by schafphoto View Post
    I used to use the Pitt pens. I'm now using the Staedler Pigment liner 0.4mm. buy two or three sometimes some are better than others. I used Amazon.

-Schaf
    Petroleum Oil Pics

Schaf, I picked up the Staedtler pigment liners. Local Office Depot has them in-stock but only the multi-size 4 pack. Testing on HP5+ film and found that 0.3 (best) and even 0.1mm (surprisingly usable) look good. Denser than FC PITT. I retrace every letter/number as I write. The 0.5 and 0.7mm I will save for book signing. Office Depot store here honors their online price to save $2. Back to work. Office Max may have them too. $4 cheaper than local art supply store.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DB4A18F4-E9C0-41AD-8498-7897B092DE46.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	49.8 KB 
ID:	178054

Quote Originally Posted by schafphoto View Post

-Schaf
    Petroleum Oil Pics

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    I never had a problem submitting 4x5-never a negative comment.
    Update. Shortly I'm doing a HABS job-5 buildings for the NSA, Old USAF barracks from the 50's converted to office buildings later. These are really unremarkable architecturally that have been remodeled and added on so many times over the years that evidence of the original structures is really hard to find.

NSA argued not to do a HABS on these originally, but the state SHPO insisted. We think that they think it's a good example of cold war military architecture.

The NSA absolutely insists on 5x7-first HABS client to insist on 5x7 in some 40 plus years. 5x7 seems like huge overkill on these humble buildings.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"