Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speed Graphic Leaf Shutter Release

Speed Graphic Leaf Shutter Release

Hello,

I am looking to buy a used Speed Graphic (my first LF camera!) and I think I have enough information to make the purchase knowing that I am getting an operational camera in good working condition.

But, the seller mentioned something that I can't quite decipher and don't know how important it is to the operation of the camera.

This is what he said : " Please note, that the leaf shutter release can only be done from the front by the lens board, and not from the side."

Is that going to be a problem?

I would appreciate your help.

Thanks!

Avi

Re: Speed Graphic Leaf Shutter Release

Pacemaker Graphics (two flavors, Speed, with focal plane shutter; Crown, without) and three sizes (2x3, 3x4, and 4x5) have a body-mounted shutter release. In Speeds, it fires, depending on the setting selected, the focal plane shutter or the lens' shutter. In Crowns it fires the lens' shutter.

The part of the release that fires the lens' shutter consists of a cable that hangs under the bellows and a linkage on the front standard. When the release button on the body is pressed, the cable pulls down on the linkage and moves paddle that pushes the lens' shutter release lever down to fire the lens' shutter. The paddles are shutter specific, get in the way when the 'wrong' shutter is on the board.

I have a 2x3 Pacemaker Speed and a couple of 2x3 Crown Graphics and have removed the cables etc. from all of them. These infernal devices just get in the way. I use normal ordinary cable releases to fire shutters. You don't need the front release.

Dan,

Many thanks.

So, I can make do without the body release? I guess I would have to trip the leaf shutter from the lens board.

But how do I trip the focal plane shutter?

I have attached some pics of the item. I believe its a Pacemaker Speed Graphic.

Avi

I wrote: "In Speeds, it fires, depending on the setting selected, the focal plane shutter or the lens' shutter." Removing the cable etc. used to fire the lens' shutter has no effect on the body release's ability to fire the focal plane shutter.

To release the focal plane shutter, set the selector to "Back" and push the button. The button is clearly visible in your first image, it is in front of the top of the strut holding the front door. The selector is above the button and to the rear of the rangefinder. It and its settings are also clearly visible in your first image. Pushing the selector up to "Trip" also fires the focal plane shutter.

Now tell me, Doctor, have you always had difficulty working things out for yourself?

Dan "Graphics help those who help themselves" Fromm

Dan,

Thank you once again.

I am actually quite good at working things out by myself. But there is only so much I can do with a picture of a camera that I have never handled before.

Hopefully, I can learn from people like yourself.

Avi

Your enthusiasm is wonderful, but there's something to be said for waiting for a problem to arrive before trying to solve it. Everything will be much clearer once you have the camera in your hands.

Avi -- It is wise to resolve problems before making commitments. I commend you for asking the original question.

Lightbulb Re: Speed Graphic Leaf Shutter Release

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Everything will be much clearer once you have the camera in your hands.
    Dan,

The OP said he was deciding whether or not to buy the camera.

It seems reasonable to research an issue brought up by the seller.

- Leigh

Leigh, I answered his questions. Why didn't you?

Dear All,

I am sorry that my post is creating some rift between members.

This is a lovely forum and contains incredible information that will help newbies like myself. Moreover, I hope to learn about LF photography through my interactions with all the experts that have so kindly contributed to this forum.

I hope it remains that way.

Regards and many thanks.

Avi