Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Finally, I found my studio camera Century 8A

Re: Finally, I found my studio camera Century 8A

Looks like fun, maybe there is one in my neighborhood.

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Keeping these beautiful cameras operational is a good thing. I know there are several of us that appreciate the fine craftsmanship during this period. Nice to own a bit of history and clean and do some minor restoring to get it back to the best condition I can. Cleaning all of the backs and doing some minor re-gluing on the back bed. A long but enjoyable task!

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Grrrr... not fair, I want one! Congratulations, Jim; big studio cameras are a joy and an inspiration to use, and I know some epic images will soon pass through those bellows!
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    It certainly fills out the gap between the two uprights on the stand and makes the 9x9 board look small!
    Congrats!
    Steven that little front board is actually 10X10 on this camera.

Congrats Jim! I love mine, and DO use it. I would be fearful of using the Century stand though. That's a lot of camera for that stand. With a 21" Petzval you're at 44" bellows quite often. Too much weight for that spindly arm underneath.

Amazing!

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    That's a lot of camera for that stand. With a 21" Petzval you're at 44" bellows quite often. Too much weight for that spindly arm underneath.
    Agreed; the wood screws that go into the bottom of the bed on mine stripped out. Now the felt covering the top of the bed hides bolt heads and fender washers.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Nice find Jim, I know you will put it to good use. Craig

Thanks everyone, and thanks for the heads up on the arm and the screws that hold the bed on. It did look a bit weak upon my initial inspection. I'm going to make sure that the attachment points are much more secure. Now I do have to save for one of those giant 22" Petzval's. 16" is as large as I have in a Petzval right now. I'm always fearful of the camera or stand or something crashing over. Maybe that is why we see so many of the giant brass lenses with dents in the front hood! I will be careful. Going to shoot with it soon but I want to pretty her up a bit first.

Jim,

You should be able to make some awesome portraits with the camera. And I hope some of them will be carbon transfer images!! Not many people do portraits with carbon these days but in the 19th century Nadar in France made some of the best portraits ever with the carbon process.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Sandy, thanks. I have always been looking for this camera. It has been something like 10 years or so. I guess it is just a progression in an artists life. I have always want to do carbon portraits. I am so glad that I found the process and with your help and Vaughn's help I now have the final piece ( I hope) to my puzzle. I have always felt that the wonderful tonal range of carbon transfer was ideal for portrait work, traditional portrait work. I can't wait to expand my knowledge of carbon portraits. I feel that I am accomplished enough in carbon transfer to proceed. Again, thanks for all of your help and encouragement over the years.

Jim