Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "only" 500...

Re: "only" 500...

Quote Originally Posted by johnmsanderson View Post
    Hmm... his photos don't persuade me to buy a digital Leica.
    But that's not even on his "recommended cameras" page. How about an M3 Leica? Or a Mamiya 7, or a Tachihara 4x5?

He calls the latter, "real cameras", that shoot "film, also known as the real raw format".

Maybe he's not Steiglitz, but he's amusing, and rather illuminating.

Quote Originally Posted by dsphotog View Post
    On a typical wedding job I shoot 1200-1500 digital exposures in 6-8 hrs. Then edit out the blinks, pick the best facial expressions etc. to provide about 800 proofs.
    Thats what brides expect these days..... Capture every detail!

Compare that to my parents wedding (1938), after the ceremony, they went to the photo studio, and the finished product was 8 magnificent B&W 8x10 contact prints.

Wish I could start a trend back to something like that.
    Be careful what you wish for. How much did your parents pay for those 8 prints? : - )
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

I like Ken. Most of the stuff he says makes a lot of sense. No, I don't turn the saturation to full on my digital camera! Like I said, most of the stuff he says makes a lot of sense. I think Ken does a great service for people new to digital photography or just new to photography.

ReadinI ended up buying a used Cambo SC and eventually replaced it with a new Tachihara.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    I like Ken. Most of the stuff he says makes a lot of sense. No, I don't turn the saturation to full on my digital camera! Like I said, most of the stuff he says makes a lot of sense. I think Ken does a great service for people new to digital photography or just new to photography.

ReadinI ended up buying a used Cambo SC and eventually replaced it with a new Tachihara.

My last line did not come out right!

It should have said that reading what Ken wrote about large format is what really got me interested. I ended up buying a Cambo SC and eventually replaced it with a new Tachihara.

I was shooting a sunrise at the Grand Canyon and another photographer that was shooting digital joined in. At the end of the session I had exposed 12 images and he had shot almost 150.

He told me that he shoots an average of about 300- 400 shots a day and he was travelling for a year and a half just to shoot pictures. I wonder how long the final selection process will take?

I remember reading Ken Rockwell's site and he was all about shooting 4x5. After a lot of procrastination I jumped into large format. By the time I had my gear together he had changed his opinion and was all about digital cameras. He posted pages of blank black frames stating that those were all the shots that he would be missed if he were shooting large format as opposed to all that he would capture with the ease of shooting digitally. Now he is back to praising large format once again.

IMHO he just flip flops from one story to another in order to keep posting new articles.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    It should have said that reading what Ken wrote about large format is what really got me interested.
    Ditto. If it wasn't for Ken Rockwell waxing eloquent about his 4x5, I doubt I ever would have tried it. (or knew it still existed)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Jeffery View Post
    IMHO he just flip flops from one story to another in order to keep posting new articles.
    That's acceptable for an indecisive gear head. Be thankful he's not a politician.

While I've found Ken's technical pages very useful, I can't claim he moved me to large format. That was from the recommendation of some other photogs including Two23 (kent in SD on here) who sent me LF trannies to see years ago. I think what finally did it was seeing Burtynsky's Manufactured landscapes show at the brooklyn museum, I saw what was possible

Quote Originally Posted by PolarBear1973 View Post
    Ditto. If it wasn't for Ken Rockwell waxing eloquent about his 4x5, I doubt I ever would have tried it. (or knew it still existed)
    Double ditto. Sad part is he's got me wanting a Leica M3 which I can't afford.

...Mike