Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: X-Ray Film Resource Page

X-Ray Film Resource Page

Hi,
    I've been reading a few different posts concerning X-ray film, scattered around the forum, and wanted to consolidate all the knowledge we have in one place.
    Also, I'm looking for some answers to my new-to-X-ray questions.
    I just bought some Fuji blue-sensitive film, and would like to know if HC-110 is a viable developer.
    And I'm not sure if this film is double-coated emulsion or single.
    I'll be processing tac-style in a Jobo drum.
    I'm waiting on the 8x10 camera to arrive, so I can't shoot anything yet, but it would sure help to be a little prepared.
    Thanks, and I hope we can put together a decent amount of information here for all the experimental cheapos like myself!

Re: X-Ray Film Resource Page

I'm pretty sure the film is double sided so taco/jobo is probably not a good idea. You must have found Gene McCluney's thread, wealth of info there. I just got my first box of x-ray film, so I'm brand new to this too. The film is cheap enough though that you can experiment, the 11x14 I bought was < .60usd/sheet delivered. I am planning on using mine in a panoramic pinhole camera which means that I have to cut it down, which from my understanding is a bad idea since tha film scratches easily. Right now I'm trying to find some 11x14 film boxes to put the film in, once I cut it down, but have had no luck. May have to make a box if no one responds to my WTB add The film is cheaper than RC paper so I figured it was worth trying.

Roger

Lachlan 717

Good idea for a thread.

Any chance you can add where you're buying this from?

Also, can anyone shed some light on whether X-Ray 7x17 film will work in a "regular" 7x17 holder? I've got a feeling that it is slightly different in size, but would love to get the lowdown from someone who's used it.

Thanks.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

I bought mine from Z&Z Medical, CSX Online is another source.

Roger

I've seen many threads re: x-ray film. Never tried it, but I wonder how long it will be before this too becomes hard to obtain? More and more facilities (both dental and medical) are shifting to the "other technology."

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan 717 View Post
    Good idea for a thread.

Any chance you can add where you're buying this from?

Thanks.
    I bought it off eBay; $9.99 plus shipping.
    Not a medical supplier per se, just a guy with lots of stuff to sell.

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg View Post
    I've seen many threads re: x-ray film. Never tried it, but I wonder how long it will be before this too becomes hard to obtain? More and more facilities (both dental and medical) are shifting to the "other technology."
    In my opinion, cost to upgrade technology will probably mean that smaller organisations will keep using film for many years to come.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

I'm using Kodak green X-Ray film, and developing in 510-Pyro. I bought my film from CSX-Online, and it's been working very well for my window light portraits. I'm processing 8x10 film in 8x10 trays, with a sheet of glass in the bottom. I transfer the film with the glass, from tray to tray. So far, no scratches. I estimate exposure at EI 100, but it's a very rough estimate.

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Just got back from a week long photo shoot and exposed 30+ sheets of 8x10 and several were green x-ray film. I shot these @ 160. Now I normally shoot it at 80 but I feel it will be fine at 160. I develop in Pyrocat-HD 1:1: 100 for 5-6 minutes. Red light on the whole time. Also, I spoke to Freestyle one day about the x-ray film I was using and I left them some of my negatives and the prints made with them for their purchasing manager to look at. The people at the counter liked the fact that I was able to make some great images with the film and it was cheap.They told me that the can no longer get Lith film and maybe they could offer this as a replacement. They told me that they may get some and do some tests. I have to go there this week and I'll let everyone know what they say.Freestyle would have some buying power I would think.

Jim,

Thanks for your tips in other threads. I think my exposures probably range fairly widely around EI 100, and so far, they are all printable. It would be great if Freestyle carried some X-ray film, and brought the price down even lower. I don't think X-Ray film is a very good replacement for lith film, but better than no replacement. I had planned to use Sweet 'N' Lo with my X-Ray film, but since I only have 510-Pyro on hand, I'm using it. My results with 510-Pyro look so normal, I wonder if S&L might be too low contrast for this film. Maybe not, and I'm sure I could get another stop of real speed with S&L, but I wonder about the gradation. With 510-Pyro, I think it will be easy to make negatives suitable for carbon printing. I guess I'll find out next month.