Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heading to New Zealand - Need some comments

Post Heading to New Zealand - Need some comments

Hi guys,

I am planning to head to new zealand in November.
    Planning to do some shooting (in fact is mainly for shooting) but not to the extend of hardcore shooting.

Here's my itinerary, appreciate some comments if there are some spots which I could potentially missed out.

I plan to go with my Chamonix 45n-2 with Nikkor 75SW and 120SW and about 10holders
    I will have my Nikon Digital system as well.

Here's what I have planned.

Day 1 - Christchurch - Sunrise, Farm Tour,
    Day 2 - Christchurch - Sunrise, Botanical Gardens, A bit of shopping
    Day 3 - Lake Tekapo - Shooting around the lake
    Day 4 - Mt. Cook - Hike at Hooker Valley Track
    Day 5 - Te Anau - Drive down to Te Anau (around 5hrs) - So probably shoot long the roads
    Day 6 - Milford Sound
    Day 7 - Milford sound or nearby national park
    Day 8 - Queenstown - Driving up and shooting along the way
    Day 9 - Queenstown - Bungee & Sky diving
    Day 10 - Back to Christchurch, drop by Tekapo again for some shoots
    Day 11-12 - Christchurch - Chill and Relax - Sunrise shots

Planning for gear has been pretty tough, as I have limited carry on weight limits (pathetic, 7KG!!) but I'm trying to get all the popular locations mapped out.

From Lake Tekapo onwards, are there any chance of shooting sunsets / rises?

I may be giving Fox Glasier a skip (not wanting a very hectic driving schedule) but it is worth the visit for the snap?

Will only be doing B&W, so the digital will have to fill in for the colored department for the time being....

Appreciate your kind comments to the above, if you have an itinerary to share for reference, that would be super awesome!!

Re: Heading to New Zealand - Need some comments

I drove round New Zealand a few years back. Beautiful place.

Chill and relax in Christchurch? http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Globa...s-Christchurch

Seems you're skipping the north island. Shame, but understandable given the time you have.

I walked up on the Fox Glacier. Worth a visit, definitely. You can walk along the river up to the impressive head of the glacier, but you need equipment, warm clothing and a guide to take you up on top. Signing up to go on a guided tour in the nearby town is easy.

Would also recommend hiring a car, if you're not doing that already. It's very easy to get around. Armed with a map, you just drive for a few hours then find a hotel, hotel or camp site. Explore the town then move on the next day. You can stop any time you like to take a shot. And there are plenty of things to shoot around just about every corner.

I got some great replies to my thread here if that helps.

South Island NZ (and North Island for that matter) really are beautiful and you'll be short for time - I could easily spend 10 days photographing just the Fjordlands, let alone the rest of the country...

Enjoy your trip!

Love !! New Zealand , Lake Mathieson is nice as well , But your plan looks fine , being more of a wilderness type photographer probably more days in Christchurch than i would do, but enjoy this wonderful country , It's Awesome!!! Cheers Gary

Looks like you are hitting some highlight. Make sure you are prepared for rain, especially in Milford. You don't say from where you are departing. I know from the USA it is a long flight and you should anticipate some jet lag.

I never heard of a 15 pound weight limit. Is that just for a carry on? If at all possible, take a 180 or 210mm lens as well. NZ is a beautiful place but some of the huge landscapes call for a longer focal length at times. The Nikkor 200M weighs almost nothing so maybe you could tape it to your chest for the flight?

Sounds great! Personally I would make the drive a big circle by going over Authur's Pass, but that would just be my style. You would still be missing Punakaiki, but you can't see everything in such a short time (which is why I went for 5.5 months back in 86/87!)

A possible way around the weight limit for carry-on -- Wear a coat with lots of big pockets and stuff them -- then once on the plane, put the stuff in the carry-on pack.

Touch the few redwoods in the Christchurch botanical gardens for me and tell them I am thinking of them! have fun!

Vaughn

Don't step on the Hobbits. Watch out for guys on black horses. Don't meddle in the affairs of wizards.

I'm incredibly envious. Have a wonderful, wonderful trip.
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com

Stop at Mavora Lakes on the way to or from Te Anau. Spend a morning walking up to Luxmore Hut on the Kepler Track near Te Anau, Sunrise above the tree line would be ideal. Evening on Lake Manapouri, maybe Moturau Hut. Cross the Crown Range. Stop in Wanaka and go up the Matukituki Valley, the Rob Roy day walk and also Aspiring hut. Also go to Akaroa or Hanmer Springs near Christchurch. Hope you get nice weather. Maybe ski instead of bunji and skydive.

When you're in Tekapo, you should consider going up the Mount John Observatory for a tour. They let you look through one of the big telescopes, and there's a photographer there to guide you through some basic astrophotography. I wanted to go when I was there over easter, but left it 'til the last night, when the weather was too bad. Check out Earth and sky for more info.

The information centre at Mount Cook Village is excellent; there is a good display of old cameras (box, folding, rangefinder and slrs, iirc), stuffed animals, and lots of interesting information.

The chances are that you won't feel any earthquakes when you're in Christchurch; we only get about one noticeable one a week.

lazy retired bum

If you have the time, consider Doubtful Sound vs Milford Sound. We spent the month of February in NZ and one of the highlights of the entire trip was an overnight cruise on Doubtful Sound, truly magical, booked with Real Journeys (I have no connection to them except as a one time customer). You can see my photos from NZ at my website. Good luck and have fun.