Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sinar f1 compatibility issues

sinar f1 compatibility issues

Hello. Im new to large format photography and currently in the process of acquiring my first camera. I live in a place where large format cameras are very rare but fortunately I found a good deal with a sinar F1. However, it only comes with one film back so I have to purchase more film holders but these are not available here in the Philippines. Anyway, I'm looking at KEH and I was just wondering if the fidelity, riteway, and lisco 4x5 film holders are compatible with the sinar F1. Also, what film back for 120 film can you suggest? Thanks.

Re: sinar f1 compatibility issues

yes they are. maybe a sinar 120 film back would be best.

Quote Originally Posted by alaric View Post
    Hello. Im new to large format photography and currently in the process of acquiring my first camera. I live in a place where large format cameras are very rare but fortunately I found a good deal with a sinar F1. However, it only comes with one film back so I have to purchase more film holders but these are not available here in the Philippines. Anyway, I'm looking at KEH and I was just wondering if the fidelity, riteway, and lisco 4x5 film holders are compatible with the sinar F1. Also, what film back for 120 film can you suggest? Thanks.
    All of the standard 4x5 film holders will work fine in a Sinar.

The Sinar has an "International" back, which will accept Graflok accessories without issue. That includes all roll film holders intended for 4x5 cameras with a Graflok or International back. There are many types, but I have a Wista 6x9, a Shen-Hao 6x12, and a Sinar Vario. These are three different types. The Wista uses an insert with a clamshell cover and has a lever advance. The Shen-Hao use a red window for film advance, and is a budget model designed for simplicity. The Vario is a high-end holder that will slide under the ground-glass frame, or install using the Graflok locking tabs. It positions the film to one side to make sliding under the ground glass possible, similarly to the Calumet/Cambo film holder models. Those will work, too.

The Sinar Vario can be set to any format from 6x4.5 to 6x12 between rolls, and the Sinar Zoom can be set to any format between shots. Sinar also made fixed-format roll-film holders in 6x6, 6x7, 6x9, and 6x12, but these seem to be rather scarce.

If you only want 6x7 or 6x9, the Wista/Horseman type are probably the best and cheapest. For 6x12, the Shen-Hao is the cheapest alternative, but Horseman made a good one that is not all that much more on the used market. The Sinar holders are more, but still a fraction of what they cost new.

I'm not a fan of the Graflex holders, though they will work. The problem is that they are often assembled from mixed and matched parts that don't work together properly or that are worn out. I would only buy one that I could inspect. I have a Graflex 6x7 holder that taught me that lesson.

I did not mention the excellent Linhof holders because my Linhof lore is lacking, but they also make holders in all the formats, and they will all work on your Sinar.

Rick "suggesting there is very little of anything that won't work on a Sinar" Denney

Off topic, but what part of the PI?
    Social Engineer

Thank you all for the replies. At least now I know which film holders to buy. Another question if you don't mind, which lens boards would you recommend for this system? I'm considering getting a lens in the range of 150-210mm. I'm really lost with the terms on KEH. Don't know what size of lens board will fit my system and which lens would fit the lens board I would choose. Are they all compatible, meaning I just pick a lens board that would fit the front standard then pick a lens and the lens mount is standard for all types of lenses and boards?

Andi Heuser

Thank you all for the replies. At least now I know which film holders to buy. Another question if you don't mind, which lens boards would you recommend for this system? I'm considering getting a lens in the range of 150-210mm. I'm really lost with the terms on KEH. Don't know what size of lens board will fit my system and which lens would fit the lens board I would choose. Are they all compatible, meaning I just pick a lens board that would fit the front standard then pick a lens and the lens mount is standard for all types of lenses and boards?

Hi,

There will be a lot of used ones in the different marketplaces.
    Sometimes sellers describe as "Sinar Horseman" or "fits Sinar" or just
    non originals as "Sinar" .
    I would ask only for original Sinar which have 'Sinar' written on the top
    and on the backside four precise grounded support points.

Here you can see different types of lens boards including the sinar lens board which you'll
    need for the Sinar F1, just scroll down:
    http://www.skgrimes.com/lensboards/index.htm

Here another link from an ebay offer just for demonstration where you can see pics of the backside.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ORIGINAL-SINAR-L...item335fc142e8

The four silvery angles in each corner are these precision points.
    Without these it's not original!
    And why buy an remake with less quality for the same price?

Another point is the hole size.
    It's dependent from the shutter size, most common are:
    Copal 0 (hole diameter 34,6 mm)
    Copal 1 (hole diameter 41,6 mm)
    and Copal 3 (hole diameter 65,0 mm)

That means you have to know what shutter size your lens is, mostly it is written on the shutter.
    Then you can mount your lens to your board.
    The mounting itself isn't difficult but has to made very carefully to avoid damage of glasses and the threads.
    I'd very strongly recommend a special tool for the mounting which will cost about $15-20
    but it's way safer than other "solutions".

Andi

Andi Heuser

I used for lens mounting a tool similar to this:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Spanner-Wrench-C...39984288396324

Any lens board marked "Sinar" will fit any Sinar view camera. They are all the same, going back to the 1947 Norma. Some Horseman boards are the same.

The question is the size of the hole. KEH lists them by hole diameter, measured with a ruler, apparently. 25 or 26 holes fit a Compur 00, 34 or 35 holes fit a Compur/Copal 0, 41 or 42 holes fit a Compur/Copal 1, and 65ish holes fit a Copal 3. Their measurements vary over several millimeters, but in the nominal sizes, the holes were intended for those shutters. There are other shutter sizes, but these are the most common sizes of shutters mounted in Sinar boards. If the board has a hole the right size, any lens with that size shutter will work on the board.

Rick "who has used Horseman and Sinar boards with no complaint" Denney

this is what confuses me.. the different types of boards listed in this site: http://www.skgrimes.com/lensboards/index.htm. which board would fit the sinar f1? the arca swiss 110, 140, or 171?

this is what confuses me.. the different types of boards listed in this site: http://www.skgrimes.com/lensboards/index.htm. which board would fit the sinar f1? the arca swiss 110, 140, or 171?
    Go down this list by 20 or 30 items and you will find a Sinar board. They can be found used in good shape for 30-40 dollars for common ones. Original Sinar boards are more expensive, knockoffs are cheaper.

Arca Swiss boards fit Arca Swiss cameras.

Bob