Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Voigtlander Collinear Arrived Today

Voigtlander Collinear Arrived Today

I found a steal of a deal of a Century Master Studio. I paid $283 for the camera, stand, dual Packard shutters and a Voigtlander Collinear Series II NO.8 f6.3 lens. I have yet to determine the focal length but I did find that these lenses are fairly valuable. I am into portrait work so I hope the focal length isn't too long or wide. I hope I get lucky with regards to focal length. I know I got very lucky to buy this camera for what I have in it.

I was told how to determine the Focal length fro the GG, so when I get the camera all set up I will check it. a 23" lens of the same flavor in shiny and polished looking condition went for $3,260. Reading in the forums original patina is more sought after by collectors but the polished ones seem to fetch more money. I dont know what I am going to do? A modern lens will be all I really need. I may pass this one on to someone that better deserves such a rare lens.

Here are some pictures of the glass that came to me today.

The shutters (function but need to be cleaned) Not sure what the wires are for, shutters work off air right?

I cant wait for the camera to arrive, I am going to restore it to like new condition. some Idiot painted it grey!

Re: Voigtlander Collinear Arrived Today

Closed shutter, Brass piston on the right opens and closes the shutter with 2 vertical strokes. the one on the left seems to be a timers shutter or something. It works with the one on the right so I know that are supposed to be together. Looking at the Packard website these aren't cheap either. Not sure what I have yet but will know all soon enough.

Series II No. 8 sounds huge - but these were made in sizes up to 60cm (no. 13). Sizes 1 - 7 are F5.4 and the bigger sizes are, like yours, F6.3.

The focal length is 25cm and the german language listing says it will cover 21x24cm.

The "23inch" you mentioned is size no. 13, 60cm. Just so you don't loose touch will reality (!), this cost 4 times as much as your lens when new. There is now always a premium on lenses that cover ultra large format - in this case, no. 13 will cover 40x50cm.

This ad from 1910 lists the No. 8 as a 17 inch focal length, covering 11x14 inches wide open and up to 16x20 at f/32.

Dan

Antique & Classic Camera Blog
    www.antiquecameras.net/blog.html

If you don't need it, and want to maximize the bids, polish it. Originally it had a lacquer over shiny brass, someone has polished that off in the past, perhaps as recently as the past 10-20 years. It's been covered a lot before, but most users will like the shiny look more, and this isn't an old daguerreotype lens or anything that historic so collectors won't be attracted. I do not advocate polishing a lens unless it is fairly common, recent, and has already had the original finished ruined. Think of sterling silverware or brass fittings on a classic sailboat or 1915 car or such....they're usually in the bright.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    Series II No. 8 sounds huge - but these were made in sizes up to 60cm (no. 13). Sizes 1 - 7 are F5.4 and the bigger sizes are, like yours, F6.3.

The focal length is 25cm and the german language listing says it will cover 21x24cm.

The "23inch" you mentioned is size no. 13, 60cm. Just so you don't loose touch will reality (!), this cost 4 times as much as your lens when new. There is now always a premium on lenses that cover ultra large format - in this case, no. 13 will cover 40x50cm.

Yes the one I saw that went for $3000+ was a #10 and it claims to be a 23" I guess he was wrong. I is clearly marked as an #8 oh well, it is worth more that I paid so I am still happy, I suppose I will clean it up take some pictures ans se if I like it, if I do then I will keep if not I will sell.

Sorry about the confusing posting! The American Voigtländer appears to have made their own numbering system. The numbering change arises from both giving up size nos. 1 and 2 (6x6 and 6x9cm formats) and the no.4 size (12.5cm).
    The American Companies size 8 corresponds to the size 11 in German catalogues and will be a sort after item for ULF people!

The listed Am. Voigtländer no. 10 does have the 23+" focal length he mentioned - see CC's table.

loujon

Quote Originally Posted by akfreak View Post
    Yes the one I saw that went for $3000+ was a #10 and it claims to be a 23" I guess he was wrong. I is clearly marked as an #8 oh well, it is worth more that I paid so I am still happy, I suppose I will clean it up take some pictures ans se if I like it, if I do then I will keep if not I will sell.

You must have missed Dans post. Your lens is more than likely a 17" FL. That said. I bought a Collinear #8 in barrel off eBay for a little more than $500. There is a big jump in price & coverage & going price between a 17" & a 23" That's about the big money cut off. The 17" or #8 is the last of the affordable Dagor type lens. After that they go HUGH for the 20x24 crowd.

Also there are plenty of 16 1/2" Dagors in shutter for around a grand. I know because a couple of years ago I bought 2x 16 1/2" Dagors one in a #5 Ilex & one in a # 5 Compond & I did not pay over $900 for either. The Collinear in barrel will go for less. I would think between $500-$800 would be a realistic sale price.

You still did very well given the packard is worth $100+ change. Did you get the 8x10 back w/ your master? If not you can plan to spend 100-250 on a century 8x10 back. Plenty of 5x7 backs out there. Not as many 8x10 Century backs out there & they get scarfed up fast

Quote Originally Posted by Louis Pacilla View Post
    Did you get the 8x10 back w/ your master? If not you can plan to spend 100-250 on a century 8x10 back. Plenty of 5x7 backs out there. Not as many 8x10 Century backs out there & they get scarfed up fast
    My back looks like some sort of multi back, I will know bwtter when it arrives. It looks like an 8x10 back with a wood insert thet has 2- 5x7 masks with gark slides I think. Looks different than the 5x7 backs I have seen. I cant wait for it to arrive, I think I am going straight to wetplate si I will build a custom back

loujon

Quote Originally Posted by akfreak View Post
    My back looks like some sort of multi back, I will know bwtter when it arrives. It looks like an 8x10 back with a wood insert thet has 2- 5x7 masks with gark slides I think. Looks different than the 5x7 backs I have seen. I cant wait for it to arrive, I think I am going straight to wetplate si I will build a custom back

If the ground glass measures 8x10 then the sliding carriage may have the insert installed in sliding carriage. This gives you two 5x8 images on one sheet of 8x10. The insert slips into & comes out of the opening in the sliding carriage. Just a pair locking tabs hold the insert in place.

BTW- The wires attached to your Packard are for the flash sync. That's a good thing as it increases the value & usefulness of the Packard.