Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Epson Epson 3880 - printer settings for non-OEM paper

Epson Epson 3880 - printer settings for non-OEM paper

Hopefully a simple question but Epson help is a little un-helpful,

I want to start printing with some papers from some sample packs I recieved with the printer (no paper or printing details included).
    I have downloaded and installed the relevant icc profiles but am wondering what "media type" I should choose in the Epson driver dialogue?
    All of the options seem to relate to Epson papers.
    For example, I have some sheets of Innova Smooth Cotton. In the "Media Type" options I can choose "Matte Paper - Enhanced Matte or Archival Matte or Photo Quality Inkjet" or I can choose "Fine Art Paper - Velvet Fine Art or UltraSmooth or Water Colour Radiant White"... you get my point.
    How do I determine which media type setting for each paper and how much difference is there between settings?
    Thanks for all help
    cheers
    Steve
    Home is always just beyond the next photograph
    Tumut, NSW, Australia
    A Glass Eye & Three Wooden Legs

Re: Epson Epson 3880 - printer settings for non-OEM paper

The provider of the non-OEM paper should have instructions on the printer settings - generally provided on the same page as the icc profiles that you downloaded. That page for Innova: http://www.innovaart.com/en/icc-prof...nfo/Epson.html.

They did not provide that for the 3880 for some reason, but they do for the 3800, for which they indicate Velvet Fine Art as the proper media setting (see the "PROFILE SETTINGS 3800" at the very bottom of the page).

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Miller View Post
    The provider of the non-OEM paper should have instructions on the printer settings - generally provided on the same page as the icc profiles that you downloaded. That page for Innova: http://www.innovaart.com/en/icc-prof...nfo/Epson.html.

They did not provide that for the 3880 for some reason, but they do for the 3800, for which they indicate Velvet Fine Art as the proper media setting (see the "PROFILE SETTINGS 3800" at the very bottom of the page).
    Thanks Greg; I did miss that link.
    Some papers, though, don't seem to list media settings amongst their details and it sometimes seems to be merely a judgement call as to whether a paper is (for example) matte or fine art velvet. Primarily I want to know I'm using the right ink.
    I did just do a print with the Innova set to Matte - archival (just a guess) and it looked pretty good so maybe there's not too much difference in some of the settings?
    I just hate to introduce yet another level of indeterminancy into my already shakey grasp of inkjet printing.
    cheers
    Steve
    Tumut, NSW, Australia

If the paper manufacturer bothers to provide ICC profiles, then they should really provide the printer settings that were used to create the profile (since those are the settings that you should in turn use) because otherwise the value of the icc profile is greatly diminished.

If you really like the paper, then I would suggest getting a custom profile made. Eric Chan will make on for you for $20 and he really knows what he is doing. What you will do is print some color charts and send them to Eric. Eric will create the profile for you and send to you. Just be sure to note the printer settings that you use when printing the color charts and use the exact same settings when you make real prints.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Miller View Post
    If the paper manufacturer bothers to provide ICC profiles, then they should really provide the printer settings that were used to create the profile (since those are the settings that you should in turn use) because otherwise the value of the icc profile is greatly diminished.

If you really like the paper, then I would suggest getting a custom profile made. Eric Chan will make on for you for $20 and he really knows what he is doing. What you will do is print some color charts and send them to Eric. Eric will create the profile for you and send to you. Just be sure to note the printer settings that you use when printing the color charts and use the exact same settings when you make real prints.
    Hi Greg
    When I find the right paper I will be able to do my own custom profiles (I have a Spyder Studio Print profiler). (Besides, Eric Chan is on the other side of the world from me). But while I'm just testing various papers I want to be able to use the potted profiles.
    My concern is not the profiles but Epson's 'Media Type' classifications which seem to assume you are using their media and dont allow for other non-OEM classifications.
    Basically there is no standadised paper classifications and so how one manufacturer describes their paper does not necessarily fit the Media Types listed in the Epson print driver.
    I'm wondering how others get around this?
    cheers
    Steve
    Tumut, NSW, Australia

Steve,

The paper manufacturer should provide the printer settings with the icc profile (just like Innova did for the 3800). If that is not provided, I would not bother using the paper because to me the paper is useless without an ICC Profile along with the proper printer settings.

In your case, the 3800 settings (Velvet for the media setting) most likely will work for the 3880 for your Innova paper. That just means that when Innova created the icc profiles for the 3800, they printed the color charts with "velvet" as the media setting, so you should use that to for that paper.

Are you printing B&W or color?
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    Are you printing B&W or color?
    Hi Kirk
    mainly B&W but some colour as well.

The Innova example was probably not the best because as Greg pointed out the info was there (albeit somewhat hidden) that includes Epson Media Types.

But I just made some prints with Ilford Gallerie Pearl.
    Epson's Media Type options give me the relevant options of "Photopaper - 'Lustre' or 'Semi-Gloss'". So which is 'Pearl'?
    I'm sure that with enough experience this would be a simple value judgement. But as a noobee I couldn't see anything in the Ilford document that suggested I should choose one over the other.
    I'm particularly concerned that with some media, a wrong choice may see me using the incorrect inkset.
    Thanks for all your help
    Steve
    Tumut, NSW, Australia

Quote Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
    My concern is not the profiles but Epson's 'Media Type' classifications which seem to assume you are using their media and dont allow for other non-OEM classifications.
    Just to rephrase my last response, when the paper manufacturer creates their icc profile for your printer, they will choose one of the Espon "Media Types" when they print the color charts. All the pertinent setting should be provided with the ICC profile. As long as you select the same "Media Type" then all is good.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
    I'm sure that with enough experience this would be a simple value judgement.
    This is not a value judgement. You need to use the same settings as what where used to print the color charts when they created the icc priofile.

If you have to guess, "pearl" usually equates to "Luster". But it all comes down to what the person selected when they printed the color charts to create the profile.