Page 18 of 28 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Aircraft

Re: Aircraft

P-40 Warhawk.

Negative # ACAQ 218. "Flying Tiger. Evergreen Flying Field, Vancouver, WA
    Camera: RB67, 180mm lens, FP4+ film. (scanned). A 60 year old warbird still flying.

P-40 Warhawk by Reinhold S., on Flickr

Reinhold
    www.re-inventedPhotoEquip.com
    www.classicBWphoto.com

Gotta love the P40, that mouth always looks so bad-ass!

Here's another old timer...

Douglas DC-3 in Eastern Airlines dress.
    At Pearson Field (Fort Vancouver Nat'l. Historic site), Vancouver, Washington.
    Among the most reliable airplanes ever made, DC-3s continue to fly daily in active service as of April 2017, more than eighty years after the type's first flight in 1935.

# ACAQ 200. Camera: 8x20" KB Canham, 780mm Apo Ronar lens, YG filter on 8x20" Ilford HP5 film.

. . DC-3. Vancouver, Washington by Reinhold S., on Flickr

Reinhold
    www.classicBWphoto.com

Reinhold... nice use of the wide format.

An odd way to use wide format;

When a torpedo bomber flew into Vancouver USA I happened to have my Canham 8x20 on hand, sooo...
    Here's a different way to use a ULF on a Grumman TBM "Avenger"...

. . Grumman "Avenger". Vancouver, WA by Reinhold S., on Flickr

Reinhold
    www.classicBWphoto.com
    Last edited by Reinhold Schable; 12-Jan-2018 at 17:57.

A Canham 8x20 and a Mustang are a pretty good fit...

. . P-51d Mustang. Vancouver, WA by Reinhold S., on Flickr

"Elegantly simple, and simply elegant", the Mustang was(is) one of the most graceful and beautiful of airplanes.
    After the war ended, my brother and I tried to pool our pennies and buy one for a close-out price of $1500 from the government...

Negative # ACAQ 428. KB Canham 8x20" camera. 600mm lens, YG filter, Ilford FP4 film

Reinhold
    www.classicBWphoto.com

Last Fall I got a ride in a Beech C45. All I have is a cabin video.

The Mustang ride was too expensive for me.

Next time I want the Steerman open cockpit biplane.

I won’t fly commercial. Too scary...

Douglas DC-3
    Restored in Eastern Airlines "The Great Silver Fleet" dress and logo (ca, 1939-1941). Vancouver, Washington

The DC-3 revolutionized air transport in the 1930s and 1940s.
    Its lasting effect on the airline industry makes it one of the most significant transport aircraft ever produced.

. . Eastern Airlines DC-3. Vancouver, Washington by Reinhold S., on Flickr

Neg# ACAQ 423. KB Canham 8x20" camera, 780mm, Yg filter, HP5 film. 2004

More planes here... https://www.flickr.com/photos/154287...57662910688898

Reinhold

I once flew in a commercial DC-3 from the airport 2 miles away.

I was in a hurry and asked for the first plane to Chicago. Got on the flight and soon realized it was hopping from airport to airport 4 times until O'Hare.

Really glad I was on the DC3 for the experience, but I soon learned I could drive the 360 miles faster in my VW bug, which I did once in 4 hours 45 minutes on back roads.

Saw on TV that a Tri Motor is still in use for rides. The corrugated aluminum Henry Ford aircraft.

It has huge windows. I will fly on one asap.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    I once flew in a commercial DC-3 from the airport 2 miles away.

I was in a hurry and asked for the first plane to Chicago. Got on the flight and soon realized it was hopping from airport to airport 4 times until O'Hare.

Really glad I was on the DC3 for the experience, but I soon learned I could drive the 360 miles faster in my VW bug, which I did once in 4 hours 45 minutes on back roads.

Saw on TV that a Tri Motor is still in use for rides. The corrugated aluminum Henry Ford aircraft.

It has huge windows. I will fly on one asap.
    There is still at least one or two German trimotor planes flying.

When I was with EPOI I had to fly from NYC to Hyannis Port for a show. For the show I was carrying a lot of Broncolor strobes, an Ademco press and some Sinar cameras. When I made the reservation the agent told me that the flight was on a DC3 and it was leaving from the Marine Air Terminal next to LGA.
    It was a very rainy day and there were no skycaps at the terminal, only flat, wood carts to carry your baggage in, but at the edge of the parking lot they had installed bollards that stopped the carts from being wheeled to your car! So after several trips in the rain between the car and the bollards I loaded the cart and wheeled it in.
    Finally got on the plane and we took off. Very heavy head winds made it a several hour flight. After a couple of hours I walked downhill from my seat to the lavatory where a stewardess was standing, shaking her head and stating that it was out of order. But that we should be landing in a couple of hours!
    So I now had to walk uphill back to my seat and squirm for another two hours!

What a trip! Fortunately for the return trip there was jet service and they would upgrade you to first class for $2.00! I spent the extra money, bordered the flight to find that there were only two passangers. The flight attendants told us to sit in the same row in the front of the plane “to balance the load”! Then they gave us all of the small bottles of liquor on board, all the decks of cards and all of their souvenir wings.

We asked them why and they told us this was the final flight for this route and they just want less inventory to count.

They asked us if there was anything else they could do and we insisted that they give us the pretakeoff safety talk as they never did that prior to our taking off. So all three stewardesses gathered around our seats and showed us what to do with the seatbelt, the air masks and showed us the exits.

Last time I flew the DC3! I