Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Aircraft

pramm

Aircraft

Don't see many aircraft portraits in LF. Here's a start. Sinar P2 8 x 10, Apo Sinaron 480mm

Peter

Re: Aircraft

That's an amazing photo Peter, well done. I like it very much, particularly the tight composition and amazing sky.

Is that a scanned negative or print?

Peter, nicely done. Lockheed Electra 12-A or Beech 18?

Has Been LF Photographer

Very nice, to say the least.

pramm

Thanks, gentlemen. That's a scanned negative on FP4+, developed in DDX at N-2. It's a tilt exercise, with a narrow focal wedge running along the entire dorsal part of the hull and tail. The engines are a bit below, and are soft.

Mark, good spotting. 1937 Lockheed L12A catching evening rays.

Peter

I think I posted this already on a different thread. This was taken with a Speed Graphic at the Schellevile airport in the SF Bay area.

I've shot quite a bit FROM an airplane, being a private pilot, but all of that so far as been not only "tiny format" but digital. I may take up the 35mm gear but I don't imagine doing any LF while flying (as pilot.)

None of the small format digitals I've shot are particularly artistic but a few might be interesting. I may post them in the "safe haven for tiny formats" thread, or at least get them on my Flickr to link.

My instructor, who soloed in 1947 and has been flying ever since, used to fly Electras. But then again, he used to fly almost everything.

Roger, If you can find the illustrations, take a look at what Steichen and others shot hand held from Curtis Jenny's and other platforms during WWI. Big Bertha's with 4x5/8x10 material. Look to be about thirty inches long and operated by a pistol grip triggering system underneath. This one is a Graflex.

Like so much else in photography, aerial work started with large format and devolved.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

Quote Originally Posted by lenser View Post
    Roger, If you can find the illustrations, take a look at what Steichen and others shot hand held from Curtis Jenny's and other platforms during WWI. Big Bertha's with 4x5/8x10 material. Look to be about thirty inches long and operated by a pistol grip triggering system underneath. This one is a Graflex.

Like so much else in photography, aerial work started with large format and devolved.
    Oh yeah, it's do-able, just more trouble than I care for. I also think in those cases the photographers weren't also the pilots. The planes I fly don't (for the most part) have auto pilots. It can even be a challenge to fold a chart or the like in a bit of turbulence. I'd rather not be fooling with a Graphic. My Pentax LX just maybe!

Cordless Bungee Jumper Sirius Glass's Avatar

I took a Pacemaker Speed Graphic to an airshow. I took twenty photographs. Many more photographs were taking of me taking photographs.
    Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.