Page 20 of 28 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Aircraft

Re: Aircraft

I see it!

I have made four human weathervanes.

Quote Originally Posted by Leszek Vogt View Post
    No idea how many of the DC-3's are still in service. I was lucky to fly Air North (most of us referred to it as scare-north) in 1991 between Dawson City and Whitehorse, YT (job related). Actually, it was a hoot of a ride in this huge bucket of bolts....we even had a rather stocky flight attendant too. In all honesty, I can't compare to anything else that I've flown, since it was v. noisy....almost vulgar level. But, it got me from point A-B :>).

By the way, just for fun dial googly and "largest weather vane". Lots of memories from that area and AK.

Les
    Tin Can

The Collings Foundation has posted their "Wings of Freedom" tour schedule, which starts up this month (weather permitting).

https://www.collingsfoundation.org/e...-freedom-tour/

I shot small format last year, my first time attending one of these events and not sure what to expect so traveled light. For reference of what's typically on the ground or in the air:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/PVi3RDm9qWbI9Ntx2

May as well add this Flying Museum.

https://commemorativeairforce.org/

I used to camp in Harlingen Texas next to a post, when they had a different name.

We visited often.
    Tin Can

Provincetown-Boston Airways was the last airline to operate DC-3s in the USA. I almost took a ride in one (just for the experience) in 1988 but Martha's Vineyard-Provincetown was $120 then, and I'd have had to find my way back. Should have done it.
    I have flown in a B-17 bomber, quite an experience, before they were asking $400. If I'd digitized any of my old aircraft photographs I'd post them here. I am enjoying this thread!

My father served in the Army Air Corp during WWII. I took him and our 2 boys for a ride in a B-17 shortly before he died—it was definitely worth the cost. Quite an experience indeed.

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

The CAF used to have, and may still have, a B-17, Sentimental Journey, which was manufactured at the end of the war and never saw combat. I took my son through it over 20 years ago when it made a stop at St Louis Regional Airport. I hung around to video it when we were told it would be taking off shortly enroute to Indiana. Takeoff was delayed due to weather, so we went home. Several hours later, I was awakened from a nap by the unmistakable drone of those powerful engines. It flew right over our house, but I was unable to grab the video camera before it was too late. I did see The Memphis Belle when it was a static display in downtown Memphis, but later read that it had been removed.

There are 10 or so flying B-17s in the USA today. Most go on tours and give rides. My father flew 32 missions in a B-17 over Europe in 1944, thus my interest. Sadly he passed long before any of the restored museum planes had been restored- he would have loved to see one again. bloodhound bob, after decades of neglect, the "Memphis Belle" has been restored and is on display at the Air Force Museum in Dayton, Ohio. It won't be a flyer, but another 17 has been restored as the "Movie Memphis Belle" (it was used in the 1990 movie). It is based in Geneseo, NY, and goes on tour regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    There are 10 or so flying B-17s in the USA today. Most go on tours and give rides. My father flew 32 missions in a B-17 over Europe in 1944, thus my interest. Sadly he passed long before any of the restored museum planes had been restored- he would have loved to see one again. bloodhound bob, after decades of neglect, the "Memphis Belle" has been restored and is on display at the Air Force Museum in Dayton, Ohio. It won't be a flyer, but another 17 has been restored as the "Movie Memphis Belle" (it was used in the 1990 movie). It is based in Geneseo, NY, and goes on tour regularly.
    Great news, Mark, as the last I had heard, the Memphis Belle was being neglected. At the same show, there was a B-24 which I took great interest in. One of my uncles was a radio operator/gunner in one and took part in the infamous Ploiesti Oil Field raid, in which 53 aircraft and 660 airmen were lost. He was 17 at the time and was never the same according to my Mom. A CAF pilot told me there were very few still flying.

My dad served in the Army Air Corps/Air Forces in WW2 as well, in a photo/darkroom unit attached to a B-17 reconnaissance squadron at RAF Alconbury. He never mentioned flying on a mission, but amongst his things were a number of 4x5 negatives of a mission in March 1944. I posted photos on Filmwasters about 18 months ago: http://www.filmwasters.com/forum/index.php?topic=9290.0

For the aircraft with visible tail numbers in the photos, I made a list of squadrons and bomb groups as I could find them; see attached. If anyone would like higher resolution scan files of any of these, PM me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	USAAF_Tails.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	168.0 KB 
ID:	188395

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    My dad served in the Army Air Corps/Air Forces in WW2 as well, in a photo/darkroom unit attached to a B-17 reconnaissance squadron at RAF Alconbury. He never mentioned flying on a mission, but amongst his things were a number of 4x5 negatives of a mission in March 1944. I posted photos on Filmwasters about 18 months ago: http://www.filmwasters.com/forum/index.php?topic=9290.0

For the aircraft with visible tail numbers in the photos, I made a list of squadrons and bomb groups as I could find them; see attached. If anyone would like higher resolution scan files of any of these, PM me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	USAAF_Tails.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	168.0 KB 
ID:	188395
    What a great story and great shots, Earl! Not only of the B-17, but the B-24 and P-51, among others. Nice!