Thread: Mounting the Nikon 90mm f8 to a Linhof recessed board?

Mounting the Nikon 90mm f8 to a Linhof recessed board?

I am having trouble mounting this lens on the recessed linhof board. It seems no matter how I turn the lens/shutter in the board, I can seem to get enough clearance to cock the shutter (no trouble accessing the shutter, just the cocking leaver is impeded from being fully cocked). Am I doing something wrong? Any tips?

Re: Mounting the Nikon 90mm f8 to a Linhof recessed board?

You have the Compur recessed board and need the Copal one.

That makes sense... Thanx Bob. How can I tell the difference when buying from eBay?

There is no way to tell the difference. You need to buy the later version of the 001015 board. The board comes in a bag with the number stamped on the bag. There is no number on the board.

In my experience, you'll have difficulty with this combination even if you find the right board. I had trouble even with a larger Cambo recessed board and a 90/5.6 Super Angulon, which is also mounted in a #0 shutter. It wasn't cocking the shutter--that was just possible--it was fitting a cable release. I ended up using one of those rotating attachments, but attaching it was a pain.

The Linhof and Sinar recessed boards were originally made for lenses with a Compur 00 shutter. Those fit but present other nuisances at least for people with fat fingers like mine.

Invest in a bag bellows instead and use a flat board, if the camera will rack the lens board back far enough.

Rick "who struggled with a 90 in a recessed lens board for too long" Denney

What Linhof camera are you using? I bought a Caltar 90mm lens and mounted it on my Tech III with a flat board. I pull the front standard out so it just sits on the rail that is attached to the front cover to focus at infinity. I do have to drop the cover to the notch below horizontal and raise the front standard to get the cover out of the image area, but it does work.

Quote Originally Posted by rdenney View Post
    In my experience, you'll have difficulty with this combination even if you find the right board. I had trouble even with a larger Cambo recessed board and a 90/5.6 Super Angulon, which is also mounted in a #0 shutter. It wasn't cocking the shutter--that was just possible--it was fitting a cable release. I ended up using one of those rotating attachments, but attaching it was a pain.

The Linhof and Sinar recessed boards were originally made for lenses with a Compur 00 shutter. Those fit but present other nuisances at least for people with fat fingers like mine.

Invest in a bag bellows instead and use a flat board, if the camera will rack the lens board back far enough.

Rick "who struggled with a 90 in a recessed lens board for too long" Denney
    That is why the Linhof recessed Technika boards come standard with a cable release QS quick release system. Just push the correct cable release into the socket on the board.