Thread: Lens for intimate nature closeups (not macro)

Lens for intimate nature closeups (not macro)

I will soon be getting a Chamonix 045n2 (first large format camera) in the next couple of weeks or so and am certain that photographing intimate nature closeups (leaves, grass, rocks, tree trunks, fall colors, small water pools, etc, etc.) is something that will be worthwhile to me. This isn't macro, but shooting from a "few feet away". I have researched some and have been considering a Schneider G-claron 150mm or a Rodenstock Apo Sironar S or Caltar 11 N 150 mm for this application. Just wondering what you might think of these lens options or if you had other suggestions (and perhaps focal length) that would work for this application. Thanks for any info. Jim

Michael E. Gordon

Re: Lens for intimate nature closeups (not macro)

150-200mm are great for intimates/close-ups (I often use a Nikkor 200mm). I'll let others argue brands, as I believe that all modern lenses produce good quality images. Don't forget to compensate for bellows extension when your subject is closer than 10x your focal length. Some like to use math, I prefer the incredibly easy QuickDisk. Have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Peterson View Post
    I will soon be getting a Chamonix 045n2 (first large format camera) in the next couple of weeks or so and am certain that photographing intimate nature closeups (leaves, grass, rocks, tree trunks, fall colors, small water pools, etc, etc.) is something that will be worthwhile to me. This isn't macro, but shooting from a "few feet away". I have researched some and have been considering a Schneider G-claron 150mm or a Rodenstock Apo Sironar S or Caltar 11 N 150 mm for this application. Just wondering what you might think of these lens options or if you had other suggestions (and perhaps focal length) that would work for this application. Thanks for any info. Jim
    FWIW, I would recommend the Sironar S but probably all modern 150s are usually tack sharp and not overly expensive. The Caltar IIs are also good. Honestly these days any modern lens is usually excellent.

Any lens in the range of 150 to 210 0r 240 will work.

Don Bryant

I often use a 90mm or 120mm for intimate closeups due to the increased 3D effect (sense of depth) which is less evident the longer telephoto you use. Look at all of the great food images created in studio with 90mm lenses on 4x5. It takes more exacting and carefully considered placement and movements to use a wider lens in this manner but the results can be quite pleasing.

One of the bigger challenges with LF is that you NEED the moves just to get adequate depth of focus as the lens lengths are longer for an equivalent field of view v. smaller formats. I find that the 3D stuff is better handled by shorter focal length lenses, ergo a 90mm works better in the close quarters of little streamside vignettes. So I have a Nikon SW f/8 for this. It's essentially a Biogon clone and it offers a lot in the way of movements, more than many 150's. (Most 135-150mm's including the Plasmats) don't a very large image circle.

That said when I'm isolating landscape details my 210mm Caltar IIN (AKA APO Sironar N) is greatly preferable (301mm IC) compared to my 135mm Caltar IIN (235mm IC) when I need the big moves to get one large plane all in focus using moves. Even if I had a 150mm, I'd feel similarly.

But the 135mm is nevertheless a great go-to length for just about everything else and resides on my Meridian 45B most of the time.