Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fujinon W 210 vs G-Claron 240

Fujinon W 210 vs G-Claron 240

I'm trying to decide which lens would suit my (hopefully soon arriving) Wehman for landscape photography...

I'm stuck between the Fujinon W 210mm 5.6 and the Schneider G-Claron 240mm 9.0, the price is nearly identical, the subtle difference in focal length doesn't really matter. What I'd like to know is which lens would you pick and why?

Now on one hand the Fujinon is brighter and seems to have quite a bit more coverage while the G-Claron is obviously lighter and has a good reputation...

So I'd love to read your opinions

Re: Fujinon W 210 vs G-Claron 240

Which format? What size lens board? How much bellows you got?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I have a Wehman 8x10 and love it.

I would get the G-Claron 240 which I did myself. It is a very nice, small lens with good coverage for 8x10. The focusing seems bright enough. I have not used the Fujinon but I would go with the lens with more coverage. Plus the Fujinon lens weighs 1.7 lbs according to the B&H website. That is a bit hefty for me.

Assuming you'll be using 8x10, A 240mm G-Claron will have about 80* coverage at f45, which will be more than the Fuji. (I have both, btw.) If you get the Fuji, make sure to get the older version which has more coverage. Both will be single coated, which is fine.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Depends on which Fuji it is. If the printing is on the outside, it covers 8x10 with a little room to spare. I have one and will never part with it. I had a G-Claron briefly because of the reputation it has and sold it after a short honeymoon. My aging eyes had too much difficulty with the dimmer image.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

Drew Wiley

The G-Claron will be the one with greater coverage. The published specs on this series
    of lenses was determined by their potential use for copy work, where the standards are higher than in general photography. In other words, the usable image circle is
    much larger than what they originally published. The 250 G-Claron easily covers 8X10
    with decent movements at typical LF working apertures, and the circle is nearly as
    big as for the Fuji W 250/6.7. It is a single-coated lens, which should rarely be a problem. If you need something similar but MC, get the 240 A Fuji.

Thank you guys you really helped me a lot!

@John: Sorry, I thought the 'Wehman' was rather specific enough hehe...
    Yeah, it's 8x10, Wehman lensboard & 30.5" max bellows (can't wait to get my hand on the camera!)

@jeroldharter: I have an old Compur1 shutter (for my 150 symmar) - as far as I know that would fit the G-Claron lens elements, is that right?
    1.7 lbs...well that wouldn't be too bad...my back could live with that.

@Michael: It does have the outside printing...hmm...
    Would the G-Claron still have the greater coverage vs. the Fuji with the outside printing? I won't be using it for architecture, but I'd love to take some 'cityscapes', so I'd need just a tiny bit of movements.

Quote Originally Posted by Shutter View Post

@jeroldharter: I have an old Compur1 shutter (for my 150 symmar) - as far as I know that would fit the G-Claron lens elements, is that right?
    Mine is with a Copal 1 shutter. I have never used a Compur shutter but if it is the same size as a Copal 1 it shout work.

The G-Claron 305 is a great lens too. Much more coverage that the Nikkor 300M or Fujinon 300C and quite sharp.

I have a G-Claron 210, 240, 305 and a Fujinon 450C and 600C all standardized to 67mm filters.

It would be a good idea to get a Wehman board that accepts smaller Canham or Linhof boards. I have one for Canham boards which are inexpensive and readily available.

This is the Fuji with about 1" of rise. And that's as much as I think I could have gotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Shutter View Post
    Thank you guys you really helped me a lot!

@John: Sorry, I thought the 'Wehman' was rather specific enough hehe...
    Yeah, it's 8x10, Wehman lensboard & 30.5" max bellows (can't wait to get my hand on the camera!)

@Michael: It does have the outside printing...hmm...
    Would the G-Claron still have the greater coverage vs. the Fuji with the outside printing? I won't be using it for architecture, but I'd love to take some 'cityscapes', so I'd need just a tiny bit of movements.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!