Thread: Hello from the Bay Area, CA

Hello from the Bay Area, CA

My name is Lauren and I'm trying to talk myself out of wanting a LF camera. Though ultimately that's going to fail so I'm here to learn.

I've used a Speed Graphic once, with a Polaroid back, and that was enough to get me hooked. My issue is my main subjects, my children, are 7, 6, and 5 and don't quite grasp the concept of sitting still. Trying to figure out if a nice series of children duct-taped to chairs would be "art" or child-abuse

I look forward to getting to know everyone here and I want to thank everyone for taking the time to share their knowledge.

Re: Hello from the Bay Area, CA

Hello and welcome!

Since my boys have been about 5 (I have triplets), I have been photographing them out in the landscape with an 8x10. Usually 30sec to one minute exposures. They are usually far enough back in the landscape that I do not mind a little movement -- I usually like to at least to be able to see facial features (eye sockets, noses, that sort of thing). But they do pretty dang good -- so don't be afraid to give it a go!

My boys have the routine down -- and at 14 yrs old, they'll still pose for me...usually for one two two exposures before they get bored with me! I usually set up the image and let the boys pick their spots, with some suggestions by me.

Vaughn

Welcome to group therapy! You're probably gonna need it after a few sessions with 5-to-7 year olds and a LF camera! Hang in there, though...it hasn't been all that many years than that was the way everybody did it!

Actually, the Speed in Speed Graphic was so named for the focal plane shutter that topped out at 1/1000. Too, the leaf shutter on a Graphic is there for stopping action, with flash. Even stopped down, you can get reasonable shutter speeds in halfway decent light with Portra 400, for instance. And if 1/250 at f/22 doesn't get it all in focus or stop-action enough for you-- hey, there's always electronic flash. Or old style flash bulbs, if you prefer to heap the abuse upon yourself.

Hi Lauren,

If you want to meet local LFers in the San Francisco Bay Area, you can join the San Francisco LF Photography group that meets once a month, mostly on field trips to nearby locations and occasionally on social gatherings. Here is the group web site:
    http://www.meetup.com/SFBayAreaLFers/

A field trip to Uvas Canyon County Park is scheduled this Sunday 2011/05/01:
    http://www.meetup.com/SFBayAreaLFers/events/16290098/

// Atul

Thank you everyone!

And thanks Atul, I will go check it out!