Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 17x25 Paper - Any Suggestions?

17x25 Paper - Any Suggestions?

I'd like to start using 17x25 paper in my Epson 3800 instead of the 17x22 paper I've been using for years (mostly Moab Entrada Bright or Natural and Hahnemuhle Photo Rag). I'd prefer a matte paper but could live with a lustre/semi-gloss (no glossy).

I've found 17x25 paper made by Red River, Harman, and something called "Inkpress." Inkpress is very inexpensive but I've never heard of it before and the price makes me leery. Of course I know Harman and have used some of their papers in smaller sizes but in 17x25 it's like $4 a sheet which is more than I'd like to pay if I can find something good for less. I know Red River generally has a good reputation but I think their 17x25 is lustre and I'd like to exhaust sources for matte before switching to lustre.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Re: 17x25 Paper - Any Suggestions?

I like Moab Entrada too and I just buy rolls to cut down when I want a longer print. I cut down some sheets and leave them to flatten between cotton rag foam core boards with some weight on the top. The Inkjetart MC luster 17x25" is also nice--especially at less than $2/sheet.

Inkpress Moab and Red River all do the same thing. Buy paper from mills and package it under their name. Ink Press is a reliable a company as any of the others.

Thanks for the responses. I hadn't thought of roll paper because my Epson 3800 doesn't handle roll paper, never thought to cut it before it goes in the printer. Duh
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

I tried a couple of packs of Inkpress paper a couple of years ago. Something like 1/3 of the sheets had little black bits embedded in the paper, maybe one or two on a sheet. I haven't bought any since, and don't plan to. It appeared to me that the low prices were a false economy.

Not sure how close to glossy you're willing to go, but I use Harman Baryta because its paper surface is the closest I can come to classic Portriga Rapid 111. I use the regular white (which is just a bit creamy) for color, & Warmtone for BW.

You do, however, have to buy the 17x25 sheets, rather than cut rolls into sheets. Many who've tried, including myself & the tech guy at Shades of Paper, have had trouble printing on Harman Baryta in rolls. It's too stiff & tightly curled, producing head strikes & also ripples in the surface, where ink is more/less dense.

Kirk

I'll give another vote for the Harman Gloss Baryta in 17x25 sheets. It's my paper of choice for "fine printing", and can be cut to 12.5x17 for 11x14 prints. The rolls, as said above, are too curled for cutting down easily. I use it for b/w printing as well, using the Epson advanced b/w mode, and have been very pleased with the results.
    r.j. phil
    www.rjphil.com
    N.E. Large Format Photography Collective

BTW, it comes in 17x22 sheets, too; probably best for most MF/LF printing. My reason for 17x25 is that you can also use it to print 15x22.5 from full-frame 35mm files.

Kirk

Quote Originally Posted by thompsonkirk View Post
    Not sure how close to glossy you're willing to go, but I use Harman Baryta because its paper surface is the closest I can come to classic Portriga Rapid 111. I use the regular white (which is just a bit creamy) for color, & Warmtone for BW.

You do, however, have to buy the 17x25 sheets, rather than cut rolls into sheets. Many who've tried, including myself & the tech guy at Shades of Paper, have had trouble printing on Harman Baryta in rolls. It's too stiff & tightly curled, producing head strikes & also ripples in the surface, where ink is more/less dense.

Kirk
    Are you talking about Harmon Fiber Gloss AL? If so this paper has been discontinued.

http://www.harman-inkjet.com/product...ta+Photo+Paper

Don Bryant

Quote Originally Posted by D. Bryant View Post
    Are you talking about Harmon Fiber Gloss AL? If so this paper has been discontinued.

http://www.harman-inkjet.com/product...ta+Photo+Paper

Don Bryant
    It was reincarnated as Harman Gloss Baryta 320gsm by Hahnemuhle

http://harman.hahnemuehle.com/media/...lossbaryta.pdf

- JC