Quote Originally Posted by olwick View Post
Hi,

I recently picked up a Pacemaker Speed Graphic in part because I wanted the focal plane shutter if I eventually try a brass lens on it (love the look).

I have a couple of questions:

1. What size lens will work on it and still give a bit of movement (mine has the 147/2.5 lens currently). I've read 6 inches for an equivalent for length, but also see lenses with different diameters.

2. I know that some brass lenses don't have aperture control. How do you determine the exposure without a known aperture?

3. How do you mount the brass lens?

4. I'm 99% sure the Kalart rangefinder I have wouldn't work with it...right? Or is there a way to align it to handle the new lens?

Thanks,

Mark
Aye..
1. Dead easy way to check is to try sit in the room with window , and project sharp image of some object next to window to the A4 list. If your final image covers or exceeds desired film size - you good. Larger - will allow for more movements (not that you get a lot of it with Speed Graphic anyway.. ). If you dont have luxury of doing that - roughly 210mm-270mm is ok. That said - i do have petzal projector lens mounted, that has alleged distance of 33inches (if we to trust numbers on side of brass tube) mounted on my Speed Graphic with room to spare.
Remember to watch out for weight If you see lens that weights few kilos - i'd pass on mounting that )

2.Proper way to do it - to use light meter in EV mode. Usual way to do it - wild guess by comparing with whatever you got and instant film

3. Many many many ways. Some will screw onto existing shutters (for example Adon Junior quite happily goes onto Copal #0 Kodak shutter.. ), for others you just cut your own board from something like plywood, drill hole , screw flange mount onto. If you want quite a dirty - duct tape and drilled board will do too. Looks like crap though. Tension mounting works sometime for short periods of time too (you just cut hole a bit smaller and trying to screw in end of lens or whatever thread is available. Cuter way to do it - use pvc plumbing screw-in bits on both sides of board.. Great way - find mounting flanges

4. Kalart will work with whatever you throw at it (if you handy with grinding wee arm extensions) , however you will need to manually adjust it and it works only with single lens after adjusting. Sooooo.. Ground glass is typically way to go.