Thread: Missing handle Help ID part number on my 3036

Missing handle Help ID part number on my 3036

I know this sounds like such a simple thing to ID, however I can only find complete assembly's, I just need the handle and set screw/pin I think. I also believe the tripod became the Manfrotto 475

My 3036 needs a new elevation handle and set screw only.

and the rest of it to maybe help id the exact model.

I have found several links for handles but I dont need all of it.

The handle that I dont think is for mine it is listed as H2. I dont think it is mine as mine looks to have the newer center column.

This is the link to the one I think I need but not 100% sure. The part is listed H R161,39 Elevation Crank

And at Manfrotto as tripod 475 it is listed as a complete assy part number R161.39

I dont need the center worm gear, I just need the handle. Have any of you run into this before? If so please tell me what you have done.

If anyone has any idea of the part number for Just the handle or suggestions on how to repair it, please do tell.

Thanks, AKf

Re: Missing handle Help ID part number on my 3036

It looks as though you do indeed have the newer three-sided center column. The old round center column (which is what I have on my three 3036's) has the teeth in the column clocked 90 degrees around from this one. The newer one uses a worm gear, and the older one is a straight side gear. They went to a worm gear because it is self-locking, rather than the cumbersome clutch on the older design.

They don't list the older one as being available in the older 3036 description page you linked, but they do list a used one for the 3035, which is the same tripod. It's $50, but that's cheaper than a new tripod unless you are lucky. As stated, though, it isn't the correct part in your case.

The newer one (R161.39) is $42 on that site. If you are not willing to fabricate your own handle, this doesn't seem all that expensive to me. You can always remove the handle from the new worm gear if you don't want to replace that part as well.

You could make your own handle, but even though I'm prepared to make things I think it would consume more than $42 worth of my time. It would need to be metal--I think wood would splinter out if cut to fit in the slot on the worm-gear shaft.

Rick "thinking the alternative is to find a junked new-style 3036, which isn't easy because they don't become junk easily" Denney

Why not ask Manfrotto?

BOB you sir are a genius, LOL. They were closed when I posted the questions. I have the handle on the way.

So here is the deal encase you need a handle like I did. Call Manfrotto US if you live in the US. (they are based in Israel) (201) 818-9500 use prompts to get to parts dept. I got part # R161.39 it was $26.85 shipping from NJ to NV was $7.00 which was a bit high IMO (I hate postal profiteers) but the total was $33.85 for entire assy. The handle is not sold separately.

Quote Originally Posted by akfreak View Post
    BOB you sir are a genius, LOL. They were closed when I posted the questions. I have the handle on the way.

So here is the deal encase you need a handle like I did. Call Manfrotto US if you live in the US. (they are based in Israel) (201) 818-9500 use prompts to get to parts dept. I got part # R161.39 it was $26.85 shipping from NJ to NV was $7.00 which was a bit high IMO (I hate postal profiteers) but the total was $33.85 for entire assy. The handle is not sold separately.
    You could have probably also asked Casey's on S. Tropicana.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    You could have probably also asked Casey's on S. Tropicana.
    I try not to bend over to close to home. Wayne is a nice man, but the pricing is always full retail. I wish I could do business there, I cant afford to. I pick up some stuff from them, big ticket stuff, I get on the net.

Quote Originally Posted by akfreak View Post
    I try not to bend over to close to home. Wayne is a nice man, but the pricing is always full retail. I wish I could do business there, I cant afford to. I pick up some stuff from them, big ticket stuff, I get on the net.
    What is full retail in your mind? The manufacturer's suggested retail price or something else? Best Buy is full retail. Camera stores always discount, Except on those items that are tightly controlled like Apple or Leica.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    What is full retail in your mind? The manufacturer's suggested retail price or something else? Best Buy is full retail. Camera stores always discount, Except on those items that are tightly controlled like Apple or Leica.
    Casey's sells MSRP on everything. This is why I dont shop there except for things on consignment or used gear. I buy small stuff when it is in stock, I paid $30 bucks plus tax for Ilford HP5 Plus 400 4x5 25 sheets from Casey's I get it for $24.99 free shipping no tax. BTW this is the only 4x5 film they have in stock.

I have been trying to buy Manfrotto 026 umbrella brackets 5 times. I stop in there all the time, I see people in and out but not lots of sales, the prices are to much imo.

Here is a true story, I asked to see a Pentax 1 degree spot meter sitting on a shelf, Wayne himself was apprehensive to even show it to me. He made a comment as to say why should I show it to you so you can go online and buy it for less. I had to justify him showing it to me by telling him all the stuff I had purchased in the previous weeks.
    His price was $399, it had no case and the battery was almost dead. I got a Mint one with box, a case, lens cap, hand strap for $220 shipped. Is that wrong of me to browse his store and try to give him the money. Customer service is cool, but price is the #1 reason people buy things.

He is the only shop in town one can go to and maybe find something if you have a breakage during a shoot.You will over pay that is all I am saying. He has tons of high margin RPS (dotline) junk. All of it marked at full retail. I have an account with RPS I know what the cost is. It is important to mark things to sell, instead of squeezing every penny out of each item sold.

Volume is what gets bonuses, margin is nice but cash flow keeps the wheel turning.